Thread: Make Gnome apps look good in KDE and how to Autostart programs in KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Make Gnome apps look good in KDE and how to Autostart programs in KDE.

I've been playing with KDE this week and found my Gnome apps looked awful, so I need to fire up the gnome settings daemon automatically when I logged into KDE.

I also wanted to autostart gnome-volume-manager on KDE login so that it would manage my usb storage so:

To start gnome-volume-manager and gnome-settings-daemon in KDE is to symlink the executables from /usr/bin to ~.kde/Autostart.

Do this by dragging and dropping within Konqueror and choosing "link".

To make Gnome apps blend with KDE apps visually I used Plastik for KDE and Clearlooks with Gnome, and themed KDE's palatte to match:

close enough for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Make Gnome apps look good in KDE and how to Autostart programs in KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by landotter
    I've been playing with KDE this week and found my Gnome apps looked awful, so I need to fire up the gnome settings daemon automatically when I logged into KDE.

I also wanted to autostart gnome-volume-manager on KDE login so that it would manage my usb storage so:

To start gnome-volume-manager and gnome-settings-daemon in KDE is to symlink the executables from /usr/bin to ~.kde/Autostart.

Do this by dragging and dropping within Konqueror and choosing "link".

To make Gnome apps blend with KDE apps visually I used Plastik for KDE and Clearlooks with Gnome, and themed KDE's palatte to match:

close enough for me.
    Pretty close (y).

Oh the old kcontrol ... boy was it easy2use ... but no! *slaps himself* I don't like KDE :@
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Pretty close (y).

Oh the old kcontrol ... boy was it easy2use ... but no! *slaps himself* I don't like KDE :@
    LOL, Gnome and KDE aren't oil and water!

KDE's really got some underlying slap-your-forehead type issues pretty much sorted: nice file dialog, printing, modem configuration, font installation, and CD Burning.

Yeah, some of the UI's a bloody mess and that really bothers me, on the other hand the developers aren't so scared of violating a HIG code that they withhold tools.

I use both.

Mmmmm. Knome.

Beans
    Hidden!

Mmmmm. Knome.

Lol I wish there was such thing ... but NO *double slap*.

You know what would be Awsome? "G3B" ... Yesterday I broke my own rules and installed K3B... My hands got shaky when I had to press enter to "install kdelibs?" . Now I feel like my Ubuntu got a 30% speed downgrade to punish me ... pleaseee someone make a good GNOME only burning app quick before i lose it !
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Lol I wish there was such thing ... but NO *double slap*.

You know what would be Awsome? "G3B" ... Yesterday I broke my own rules and installed K3B... My hands got shaky when I had to press enter to "install kdelibs?" . Now I feel like my Ubuntu got a 30% speed downgrade to punish me ... pleaseee someone make a good GNOME only burning app quick before i lose it !
    Why not Gnomebaker?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    Why not Gnomebaker?
    I gave it a spin. It's cute. Other than that, I don't like it. It did not erase my DVD-RW's when everything else did [including k3b]. And it's not nearly as complete as K3B. I love the broad K3B configuration windows, all the info it gives to the user, the fact that it can encode videos directly using transcode, its plugin, I just "dig it".

I also tried Graveman but I would rather use GnomeBaker instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I use Nautilus for data CD--it's awesome for that, but hey--I've got 5 gigs of / room before I get to /home--installing some kde/qt libs to use one of the best open source programs such as k3b is worth it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Nautilus for data CD--it's awesome for that, but hey--I've got 5 gigs of / room before I get to /home--installing some kde/qt libs to use one of the best open source programs such as k3b is worth it.
    If I *EVER* install and dual-boot Kubuntu I would whipe it clean , only leaving K3B . This is a lot better than switching to Nero for some sureshot burning ...

Beans

I was looking for a while for a simple explanation (a noob explanation) how to autostart applications in KDE, but only somewhere hidden in a thread with a different name I found it. since this thread has the right name, I'll copy-paste jpmontalbo's post and edit it a bit:

This is how I make applications start automatically when you login.

1. Go to your home folder
    2. Click on View at the top and then click on Show Hidden Files you will now see hidden directories
    3. go to .kde folder.
    4. go to autostart folder
    5. click on the K-menu button, bottom left on the screen
    6. drag application into the autostart folder
    7. chose the Link Here option

done
    Eric, the forever noob - ... - ( AMD - Kubuntu Edgy )

*any similarity with the new (now old) Ubuntu distro name is strictly coincidental, I switched to Linux during the last month of Hoary...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dr.drake View Post

This is how I make applications start automatically when you login.

1. Go to your home folder
    2. Click on View at the top and then click on Show Hidden Files you will now see hidden directories
    3. go to .kde folder.
    4. go to autostart folder
    5. click on the K-menu button, bottom left on the screen
    6. drag application into the autostart folder
    7. chose the Link Here option

done
    Excellent... This was exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks for digging, lol