Thread: Macbook Pro 7,1 + Oneiric

Hybrid View

Beans

Macbook Pro 7,1 + Oneiric

Hey guys, just wanted to post and let you all know that Ubuntu Oneiric is working perfectly on Macbook Pro 7,1(13"). I used the guide from OMGUBUNTU which you can find here http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/dual-boot-os-ubuntu/
    besides I used a live USB which the ubuntu website tells you how to make one in OSX. Everything works right out of the box, including bluetooth, webcam, and wifi. The track pad works fine for scrolling and clicking(after tweeking in the mouse & trackpad settings), haven't been able to get anything else working(tried touchegg but couldn't figure it out)

When installing off the liveusb, after doing the partition to create free space, choose the install alongside OSX option, and it will automatically assign the free space to it.

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 7,1 + Oneiric

I had issues on my MBP 7,1 with the nvidia 320m.

On 11.10 32&64bit using the nouveau driver i can't get an external monitor to output anything. When i plug in a monitor into a mini displayport to vga or dvi adapter the system becomes sluggish and it cant detect the external monitor.

And the applet for additional drivers doesn't show proprietary nvidia-current drivers, but when i install them directly from nvidia.com or synaptic i just get a black screen after reboot. Have tried 290 and 280 drivers and --reinstall option.

Only with 12.04 alpha1 nouveau driver was working with external monitor, but overall system performance is unstable.

So, has anyone a MBP 7,1 with external monitor running?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hanbo View Post
    I had issues on my MBP 7,1 with the nvidia 320m.

On 11.10 32&64bit using the nouveau driver i can't get an external monitor to output anything. When i plug in a monitor into a mini displayport to vga or dvi adapter the system becomes sluggish and it cant detect the external monitor.

And the applet for additional drivers doesn't show proprietary nvidia-current drivers, but when i install them directly from nvidia.com or synaptic i just get a black screen after reboot. Have tried 290 and 280 drivers and --reinstall option.

Only with 12.04 alpha1 nouveau driver was working with external monitor, but overall system performance is unstable.

So, has anyone a MBP 7,1 with external monitor running?
    this is exactly the same problem with mine, hope this could be fixed soon

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have an external monitor working on my MacbookPro7,1. I installed nvidia-current and nvidia-settings, and used that to make it work at first - but it usually needed two goes at applying the settings to make it stick, the first attempt would sometimes go black for a while. I also made it generate an xorg.conf file.
    Then I installed disper and found that 'disper -S' run twice 5 seconds apart would reliably make it switch to the external display, and 'disper -s' would switch to the internal.
    This is all from memory as I'm running OS X at the moment. I'll edit this with corrections if any, soon.

Update 1: Here's the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 280.13  (buildd@yellow)  Fri Aug  5 12:31:28 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Apple Color LCD"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 75.0
        VertRefresh     61.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce 320M"
        Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
        Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: NULL"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Update 2: Just noting that I installed nvidia-current and nvidia-settings from the Ubuntu repositories, not direct from Nvidia, and I used the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Aearenda; February 4th, 2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added xorg.conf, repo note.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Aearenda, thanks for the info,
    Unfortunately, it still doesn't work on mine, after first reboot to apply the driver it still goes on to the blank screen.
    Can you describe your steps more specifically, seems like i'm still missing a step (e.g kernel update, removing nouveau, or something else)
    FYI, i always do a kernel update after install before installing the nvidia-current (also running 64bit version)
    Last edited by mulky; February 4th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unfortunately I didn't take notes. Basically I installed from the desktop CD, updated everything and rebooted, then followed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Oneiric except that I used nvidia-current from the normal repository, not the xswat ppa. After running 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' (are you sure you've done that?) I rebooted and the internal screen was working (though the Plymouth splash screen wasn't, as per usual with Nvidia divers unless you do some messing around).

I don't recall removing Nouveau, and it seems to be still there in Synaptic.

After that I used nvidia-settings to get it to detect and use the external screen. It was necessary to wait and to use the 'apply' button more than once to make that work, and that's what gave me the idea of running 'disper -S' twice to automate the process, based on the script in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro7-1/Maverick.

Disper was from ppa:disper-dev/ppa

Once it was all working I installed xcalib and applied the color profile for my monitor from OS X - otherwise it was too yellow.

Note, there's a maximum size allowed - my external screen is 1680x1050, and I had to arrange it above or below the internal screen, not alongside, if both were in use. IIRC the max was 2048x2048, and 1650+1280 was too large on the x dimension.

Also note, I always boot with the lid open, and switch to external after logging in.
    Last edited by Aearenda; February 5th, 2012 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Added maximum pixels allowed, and login mode note.