Thread: Deja Dup - Backup Speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Deja Dup - Backup Speed

I'm trying to use Deja Dup (the default backup software) to backup some of my data. It seems to work, and the interface is simple and easy to use.

However, the backup speed seems ludicrously slow. Is there a way to improve this? htop shows that only one of my processors appears to be working (though they alternate, one will peg to 85-95%, and then the other will) on the backup. I am backing up a lot of data (~2 TB), but OS X's Time Machine handled everyting nice and quickly (and that was on an old G4 machine).

Originally I thought it would be just the first backup that would take forever, but even the incremental ones go very slowly.

Any tips? My machine is a dual Xeon (@3.0ghz) with 8 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Deja Dup - Backup Speed

No one? Does anyone else at least have the same problem I'm having?

It's been twelve hours since I posted this. At that point, my backup was ~25% done. It's now just under 50%. I started the process over a day ago...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have used Deja Dup for the last couple of years and never had to wait over 10 mins for the initial backup and the incremental ones take mere minutes.

One thing that might help figure out your issue is where are you backing upto?

Mines an very old internal 20GB IDE drive and my process is an old AMD ATHLON 64 3200+. So nowhere near as powerful as yours.

If your backing up over the network or possibly to Ubuntu one then i would expect it to be slow but still only take about 30 mins - 1 hour to complete.

Hopefully someone else will be along to help or who may have the same issue as yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pkmgarf View Post
    I'm trying to use Deja Dup (the default backup software) to backup some of my data. It seems to work, and the interface is simple and easy to use.
    Any tips? My machine is a dual Xeon (@3.0ghz) with 8 GB RAM.
    Do you have enough free space in /tmp?

I've just installed this package and given it a try, I must admit that I like the Unison package (which I have been using for a while) better.
    Last edited by dcstar; January 26th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

I'm not a fan of Deja Dup. I much prefer using rsync to backup my data because of the reliability and performance. Though it lacks features compared to Deja Dup. To get the most performance from Deja Dup try disabling encryption and backup to local disks that use native interfaces (like SATA or SAS and not USB or Firewire).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wap980 View Post
    I much prefer using rsync to backup my data because of the reliability and performance. <snip>
    Which is what Unison front-ends with a nice GUI.
    Last edited by coffeecat; January 27th, 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Removed hidden image link from quoted post which was spam post and now deleted
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

lol...the initial backup is still running. Looks to be at about 90%.

Some more detials...I'm backing up from one SATA drive to another, both of which are plugged into the motherboard. The system itself resides on a RAID array that runs off of a PCI card (3 SATA drives). I honestly don't remember if I clicked "use encryption" or not, but even if I had...two days, really?

As for /tmp. I see no reason it would be low on space. The "properties" window of nautilus shows something like 50 MB in /tmp right now

As a side note, I had used rsync before this, but wanted to give the default app with the pretty/simple GUI a try. I think I may go back to a script and rsync.
    Last edited by svtguy88; January 27th, 2012 at 06:16 AM.