Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Old Partition manager

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Old Partition manager

Quote Originally Posted by OooBuntuRox View Post

... The portion of the install that I am having trouble with is whatever code segment looks at the partitions once they have already been completed, then makes the decision as to how those partitions should be viewed or interpreted, then installs the OS onto a partition ...
    As I wrote before: from the live session of the 'Ubuntu install' CD or USB drive:

- install Ubuntu. When asked about partitions, select the manual method and tell it to select the new ext partition for the linux file system /. It will select the swap partition automatically.

This is something I have done several times, so I know that it works.
    Last edited by sudodus; January 26th, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Hidden!

Just to show you what it looks like when running a live Ubuntu 11.10 session:

Installation type
    - Install Ubuntu alongside
    - Erase disk and install Ubuntu
    - Something else
    You can create or resize partitions yourself, or choose multiple partitions for Ubuntu
    --
    Click on the thumbnail to see the attached screenshot!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The option for installing on the largest free space is in no way related to Unity (which is a desktop shell and has nothing to do with this kind of stuff). And also the option is still there. It will only show if you actually have some unpartitioned, free space on the drive, and it's actually possible to create new partitions without removing or overwriting any existing ones (so you need to have three or less primary partitions, or the free unpartitioned space must be inside an extended partition). This, by the way, is how it has always worked...
    Last edited by mcduck; January 27th, 2012 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    The option for installing on the largest free space is in no way related to Unity (which is a desktop shell and has nothing to do with this kind of stuff). And also the option is still there. It will only show if you actually have some unpartitioned, free space on the drive, and it's actually possible to create new partitions without removing or overwriting any existing ones (so you need to have three or less primary partitions, or the free unpartitioned space must be inside an extended partition). This, by the way, is how it has always worked...
    +1

if you want something to

'install on the largest segment of freespace'

you first need to have this largest segment of free space, if you have no free space on your disk it is pointless to display this choice and therefor you do not see it.
    So a free space is something where no partition exists. If you use partitioning sofware like gparted free space looks gray there, no color frames around it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your help. I eventually learned how to manually configure and partition the drive. Being that XP is fading away and most if not all my system errors are related to using XP, I got away from a dual boot system.

I now manually configure multiple partitions and a swap area.

OooBuntuRox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12