Thread: Ubuntu security variant?

Beans

Ubuntu security variant?

So I've noticed that there are quite a few distros dedicated to security and firewalls. Ubuntu has a variant for studio work, one for education, and a couple for low-resource. But what about security? Has anyone thought about having a security-oriented variant? There's much security software out there for Linux. Alpine has PaX and SSP for example. The downside for me with Alpine, though, is it isn't based on Ubuntu and doesn't have Ubuntu's repos. So why not get rid of that downside and have an Ubuntu security variant? It is possible, right? Just wanted to hear your thoughts.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu security variant?

Quote Originally Posted by rectec794613 View Post
    So I've noticed that there are quite a few distros dedicated to security and firewalls. Ubuntu has a variant for studio work, one for education, and a couple for low-resource. But what about security? Has anyone thought about having a security-oriented variant? There's much security software out there for Linux. Alpine has PaX and SSP for example. The downside for me with Alpine, though, is it isn't based on Ubuntu and doesn't have Ubuntu's repos. So why not get rid of that downside and have an Ubuntu security variant? It is possible, right? Just wanted to hear your thoughts.
    +1 I agree , we must have one for Security .I think if you mention this in Ubuntu brainstorm then it will be fine and its good idea too .

So please post your Idea here http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Dangertux is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu security variant?

Ubuntu is already the epitome of security. Kidding, however I'm fairly certain that the ubuntu kernel is compiled with PaX extensions. It already features fortify source via gcc, address space layout randomization and in supported processors can e configured with support for noexec. It features highly customizable mandatory access controls via apparmor and is compiled with support for SElinux.

So what would you want a proposed Ubusec to include? Rbac with grsec? It's also relatively trivial to compile a kernel to support that as well.

Hope this helps.