Thread: raid without partitioning drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

raid without partitioning drives

Ok...I have a working server system with 10.10 on it. Had it running for several years now with no issues. I recently had one of my six 1TB drives fail in my raid 5 array. no biggie, just ordered a new one and popped it in, so far so good. I partitioned it as the other five were, with a raid autodetect partition. Went to add it in mdadm and got an error about the partition being too small (which it is...just by a few MB though) So I says forget this and just added the whole drive, sda, to the array. after rebuilding for a few hours everything seems to be back up and running like normal. My question is, will this make any difference at all, having the whole drive without a partition in the array? I have looked and looked all over the interwebs and have not really found a satisfactory answer. It seems to be working, just want to make sure I don't get any surprises down the road..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: raid without partitioning drives

It won't cause a problem, other than showing up differently in fdisk -l. The only situation that it could cause a problem is dependent on your mdadm version. Metadata version 1.0 stores the superblock at the end of the device. If you have varying sizes, that could potentially be a problem. Metadata version 1.1 stores it at the beginning of the device and 1.2 stores it 4K from the start of the device.

I like to make my partitions a little smaller than the whole device to prevent situations like this where one manufacturer has a disk that's slightly smaller than another.

Beans
    Distro

I did a mdadm -D and it said at the top version 00.90. Is that the metadata version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes it is and that should be fine.

Beans
    Distro

good deal. thanks a lot.