Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No log-in screen, just "BusyBox".

Beans

No log-in screen, just "BusyBox".

Hey guys! maybe you can help me with this.

Today, I tried to delete some files, but a pop-up message said that my disk was read-only (I didn't make any changes on my disk, so I was surprised by this msg).

I restarted the PC, and a purple screen saying that my disk had errors appeared. It said that it will fix it if I pressed F, wich I did.

It stayed on that screen for couple minutes, and then the log-in screen appeared. I used the PC for ten minutes, and everything stopped responding, and the PC restarted by itself.

Now, a menu with the following options appear:

The first two, wich are supposed to start Ubuntu, lead to "BusyBox" (I have no idea what that is. It appears to be some kind of terminal). And all I get is this:

It there a way to start Ubuntu normally from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: No log-in screen, just "BusyBox".

Quote Originally Posted by nsamba View Post

Today, I tried to delete some files, but a pop-up message said that my disk was read-only (I didn't make any changes on my disk, so I was surprised by this msg).

I restarted the PC, and a purple screen saying that my disk had errors appeared. It said that it will fix it if I pressed F, wich I did.

It stayed on that screen for couple minutes, and then the log-in screen appeared. I used the PC for ten minutes, and everything stopped responding, and the PC restarted by itself.

***image went here***

The first two, wich are supposed to start Ubuntu, lead to "BusyBox" (I have no idea what that is. It appears to be some kind of terminal). And all I get is this:

***image went here***

never seen this before myself, but did a bit of searching..

apparantly you can wait a while on the busybox screen then type

Code:
    exit
    and it should boot as normal..

will continue to look for a more permanent fix..
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

"Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may still have errors on the drive. I suggest booting a LiveCD to the Desktop, open a terminal, and run an fsck check.

Change the drive/partition XY designations to your Ubuntu partition (sda5, etc):
    Code:
    mount # Check that your real Ubuntu partition is not mounted.
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdXY
    If it still won't boot, I'd suggest installing/running the Boot Repair app. You can run it from the LiveCD after installing it.

If neither the fsck check nor Boot Repair fixes things, Boot Repair can run the boot info script and provide a link to the RESULTS.txt it generates. Post that so we can check the status of your boot files.

There is a link to Boot Repair in my signature line.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have a corrupted filesystem/disk journal.
    Try to repair (fsck) from livecd. If you haven't crashed the disk recently, this could be a sign of hard disk failure, so you might want to check the SMART status, and check the disk on a livecd.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thank you guys for your help, but I'm stilla newbie at Ubuntu, and I'm not sure how to do all those things you told me. I opened the terminal, but I don't know how to do a fsck check, and I can't find the Boot Repair app.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    You may still have errors on the drive. I suggest booting a LiveCD to the Desktop, open a terminal, and run an fsck check.

Change the drive/partition XY designations to your Ubuntu partition (sda5, etc):
    Code:
    mount # Check that your real Ubuntu partition is not mounted.
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdXY
    If it still won't boot, I'd suggest installing/running the Boot Repair app. You can run it from the LiveCD after installing it.

If neither the fsck check nor Boot Repair fixes things, Boot Repair can run the boot info script and provide a link to the RESULTS.txt it generates. Post that so we can check the status of your boot files.

There is a link to Boot Repair in my signature line.
    I suggest that you follow these instructions. You can run this command to find out the what to use for the XY
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you guys for your help, but I'm stilla newbie at Ubuntu, and I'm not sure how to do all those things you told me. I opened the terminal, but I don't know how to do a fsck check, and I can't find the Boot Repair app.
    If you don't know your Linux partition, you can run the command suggested by Olle Wiklund. Your Ubuntu partition, when running "sudo fdisk -lu", should give you something like
    /dev/sda5 205037658 836886527 315924435 83 Linux
    Look for the partition with "Linux" (and not "Linux swap / Solaris").

Next, just make sure it is not mounted. You can run the "mount" command to see what partitions are mounted. You should NOT see your real Ubuntu partition listed in the results.

You accomplish the fsck check with the 'e2fsck' command I provided. In the example above, the Linux partition is "sda5", so the command would be:
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f -v -y /dev/sda5
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I tried that, and this is what I got.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

It seems you got no output at all from
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    This means that the live system cannot see your internal drive at all. So there is something wrong with it. Either it is not connected properly, or it has failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast