Thread: New motherboard and lines on the screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool New motherboard and lines on the screen?

I got a new motherboard off ebay to replace my faulty one. The old one had onboard x300 graphics. The new one has intel integrated graphics. The laptop is Dell Latitude D610. I have installed the new motherboard properly using the correct thermal paste and anti static precautions..
    So the issue now is when I boot it I get lines on the screen (a bit disappointing considering I waited for a few weeks for it in the mail).

The bios seems operational since it will restart on when I do ctrl alt delete. I think this is a video problem. The new board should work shouldn't it? (sorry for my short sentences)
    Any advice?

EDIT:
    Quote from wikipedia: "The D610 was available with either an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 discrete GPU or Intel integrated graphics."
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; January 24th, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: New motherboard and lines on the screen?

I"m stumped any ideas??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just stop and think for a moment. You had a motherboard with an ATI Radeon x300 video card/adapter. Did you install a proprietary driver for it using Additional drivers?

Now you have changed motherboards and this board has an intel video adapter. Are using the same proprietary ATI driver to work an Intel adapter?

Try using Additional Drivers to de-activate the ATI driver and may be activate an Intel driver. All this is just a guess based upon you not telling us that you have already done this.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I got ubuntu up and running via an external monitor, internal still displays lines and only lines even at post. So the only issue right now is that the onboard laptop screen only displays lines, ever (at post, at boot and when running). So its just faulty hardware I suppose or something is loose.. Mark as solved?

Beans
    Distro

Heres what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images