Thread: Automatically connect MIDI in JACK?

Beans

Automatically connect MIDI in JACK?

I'm pretty new to JACK and doing audio stuff on Linux, I just recently got my rig set up again.

I like to audition different software synths, and wondered if there's a way to make them automatically connect their MIDI inputs to a specific MIDI source when I launch them, the way some synths do with audio connections?

It's getting a little tiresome manually connecting stuff each time I want to audition a different synth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Automatically connect MIDI in JACK?

a) Check their preferences, maybe thay have option for automatic connections.

or

b) Alter the their start up with script wich uses jack_connect command.

Beans

I haven't found a synth yet with auto MIDI connections; I'll look into jack_connect, maybe I can just script some of my favourite setups.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I'm pretty new to JACK and doing audio stuff on Linux, I just recently got my rig set up again.

I like to audition different software synths, and wondered if there's a way to make them automatically connect their MIDI inputs to a specific MIDI source when I launch them, the way some synths do with audio connections?

It's getting a little tiresome manually connecting stuff each time I want to audition a different synth.

To achieve that you need to use aconnect.

aconnect -i -l and aconnect -o -l will list your MIDI input/output device, then aconnect n1 n2 (where n1 and n2 are the devices you want to connect) will do the job.

Please note that aconnect is an alsa tool, which means this is not working if you are using network remote device (usb device are ok).

Beans

Will that work with instruments that use Jack MIDI?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Will that work with instruments that use Jack MIDI?

This will work for every 'non jackified' midi softwares (which are still numerous)

I had only answered around aconnect tool because for pure jack/midi you already had wrote it: the solution is jack_connect.

For listing devices and their ports, send:

jack_lsp
    --> will list all the 'jackified' midi connectors _and_ sound connectors ( so choose wisely, midi output to sound input is _not_ a good idea )

Then send:

jack_connect output_port_your_software:type_port intput_port_your_other_software:type_port
    And then:

aconnect port_midi1 port_midi2
    will finish the job for 'non jackified' devices.

You can find a very good sample of scripting the whole stuff in Ubuntu forums, i don't think it is useful to re-write it, so thank for mister AutoStatic :

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1663228.html
    Last edited by CivilizationII; February 21st, 2012 at 03:56 PM.