Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The perfect notes app

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The perfect notes app

I have a Palm T|X which I faithfully use, but the ShadowPlan Outliner is no longer supported and the Linux Desktop for it is not very usable...

I would love to find an outliner that would work on both my laptop and the PDA, but I am thinking that is not to be.

Does anyone know if TreeSheets is any good?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been mentioned, kind of makes sense I suppose, but org-mode is fantastic... The draw back is that it requires emacs, however 10 minutes on the tutorial and you should be comfortable enough to use org-mode.

- Plain text.
    - Crazy linking between documents, directories, web-pages, and email.
    - Tons of export abilities (LaTeX, HTML, ODT, DocBook, Freemind Mind Map, iCalendar).
    - Organisation/Journal/Diary/Calendar capabilities.
    - Excellent for a Getting Things Done™ management process.
    - Render LaTeX symbols and display LaTeX equations in the document.
    - And more!

I don't use emacs because I am a programmer (which I am not), I use emacs purely because of org-mode. I'm sure there are others who do the same. This little system is *amazing*.

Of course, the default settings for emacs are a bit odd, but if you were interested, I could happily tell/show you some saner set-ups.

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess all the major players have come out, so its time to mark this solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

+1 For Basket.

The beauty of Basket is that you can just copy any file into it. Pictures, videos, sounds, Skyrim saved games, etc. And the beauty of it is, that it's actually copied into the baskets, instead of just using links. Which means those files stay permanently even if you move the originals around.

Theoretically, it would be possible to use it to back up episodes, all grouped by seasons, with drop down lists to the episodes in each season. Though I don't think it was built to handle that kind of data, and it still crashes occasionally, so I highly doubt if that would work.

Beans

For me the most important feature in a note taking application is "sync"
    *Opera has a built in note feature that also sync with your opera account, that means using Opera - but Opera is available on most of the platforms
    *Option 2 Tomboy with Ubuntu One

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cap10devnull View Post
    For me the most important feature in a note taking application is "sync"
    *Opera has a built in note feature that also sync with your opera account, that means using Opera - but Opera is available on most of the platforms
    *Option 2 Tomboy with Ubuntu One
    Option 3 could be a couple of lines in the .bashrc and a Dropbox account, or lftp to a directory on a Web server if you don't like using 'cloud' services.

This is what I use anyway when I do notes (I'm a bit lazy about note taking and tend to make them anywhere on bits of paper &c)

http://onethingwell.org/post/4576747...ional-velocity

Interesting thread. Org mode is just a bit too much for me.
    Last edited by keithpeter; February 5th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ZIM is the best for me. The new version adds the ability to have a floating bookmark widget that helps to structure and organize your notes - great feature.

Zim...!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123