Thread: Combine title & menu bars for each window

Beans

Combine title & menu bars for each window

Hi,

There are a lot of threads on similar questions, but I haven't seen one that quite answers this question: Is it possible to combine the title and menu bar for each window into a single bar? If so, how is it done? I am running Gnome 2.30.2 under Ubuntu 10.04.

Just to clarify, what I mean is this: At the top of the Firefox window, for example, there are two bars: The title bar, which says "X V [] Ubuntu Forums - Post New Thread - Mozilla Firefox", and the menu bar, which says "File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help." I want to combine these into a single bar that would say something like "X V [] Ubuntu Forums... File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help."

I'm not talking about the main menu bars at all (I have only one of these, at the bottom rather than the top of the screen, with autohide on), but the title and menu bars that belong to each window.

Many thanks,
    treacl

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Combine title & menu bars for each window

You can achieve that for Firefox (and only Firefox) with the Addon Hide Caption Titlebar Plus.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Combine title & menu bars for each window

Thanks, LewisTM. That would have been a step in the right direction. According to the installer, though, Hide Titlebar Caption Plus isn't compatible with FF 3.6.24.

Anyone know of a general solution that works across applications? If not, is what I'm looking for available in a more recent version of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Combine title & menu bars for each window

Well there you go, you need a more recent version of FF (9.01 here in Xubuntu 11.10)
    Perhaps the PPA described here can help.

Recent versions of Ubuntu implement a Global Menu that combine the title with the application menu in a Mac-like fashion. However, you won't have the menu stick to floating windows, it will always be at the top of the screen.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich