Thread: panp7 hard crashes reboots with 2-3-4-3 POST code

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

panp7 hard crashes reboots with 2-3-4-3 POST code

My panp7 has intermittently crashed since I got it, averaging perhaps a crash-a-week. The frequency seems to be increasing approaching something like once-a-day.

The crash has distinctive characteristics:

(1) It doesn't appear to happen when I am not using the machine. That is, I've never left the computer on for a long period of time without interacting with it, then returned to the machine to find it crashed.

(2) I have the impression there's a correlation with displaying movies, but it _certainly_ has occurred when I was _not_ watching movies.

(3) When the crash occurs all input and output freezes. That is, keyboard and mouse become completely non-responsive. The screen ceases to show any variation.

(4) The caps-lock LED and Scroll Lock LED indicators, on the front LED panel begin flashing on and off together with a period of about 1 second.

(5) Upon hard rebooting the machine emits the Power-On Self Test (POST) beep code: 2-3-4-3

I searched for this pattern and found this result: " 2-3-4-3 Display non-disposable segments. " at this url: www.computerhope.com/beep.htm . This result is for the Phoenix BIOS, which is consistent with this query:

$ sudo dmidecode | grep -A1 BIOS
    SMBIOS 2.6 present.
    35 structures occupying 1871 bytes.
    --
    BIOS Information
    Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD

(6) After emitting this POST code the machine is unresponsive, and must be power cycled a second time.

OK, that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for all your help!

--arch_o_median

Model: panp7

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
    Release: 10.04
    Codename: lucid

$ uname -a
    Linux <HOSTNAME> 2.6.32-37-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 20:32:42 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    1. 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:05:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    2. System76 panp7
    3. Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04-LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: panp7 hard crashes reboots with 2-3-4-3 POST code

It sounds like you're having a kernel panic. Would it be possible for you to create a separate installation of Ubuntu on a smaller partition to test with? This would allow you to run a more recent kernel and ensure that the issue is software, and not hardware.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm backing up my data now prior to partitioning with gnu-fdisk. Once it's partitioned which version of Ubuntu should I install?

Also I notice that the crashes correlate with playing movies and/or opening firefox on a flash containing web-page when I have flash installed. I've seen mention of the video card being implicated in crashes that emit this kind of POST code.
    1. 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:05:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    2. System76 panp7
    3. Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04-LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's a possibility.

I would recommend 11.10, since it's the latest version. We always recommend running the latest version of Ubuntu (except under very rare circumstances).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!