My panp7 has intermittently crashed since I got it, averaging perhaps a crash-a-week. The frequency seems to be increasing approaching something like once-a-day.
The crash has distinctive characteristics:
(1) It doesn't appear to happen when I am not using the machine. That is, I've never left the computer on for a long period of time without interacting with it, then returned to the machine to find it crashed.
(2) I have the impression there's a correlation with displaying movies, but it _certainly_ has occurred when I was _not_ watching movies.
(3) When the crash occurs all input and output freezes. That is, keyboard and mouse become completely non-responsive. The screen ceases to show any variation.
(4) The caps-lock LED and Scroll Lock LED indicators, on the front LED panel begin flashing on and off together with a period of about 1 second.
(5) Upon hard rebooting the machine emits the Power-On Self Test (POST) beep code: 2-3-4-3
I searched for this pattern and found this result: " 2-3-4-3 Display non-disposable segments. " at this url: www.computerhope.com/beep.htm . This result is for the Phoenix BIOS, which is consistent with this query:
$ sudo dmidecode | grep -A1 BIOS
SMBIOS 2.6 present.
35 structures occupying 1871 bytes.
Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
(6) After emitting this POST code the machine is unresponsive, and must be power cycled a second time.
OK, that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for all your help!
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
$ uname -a
Linux <HOSTNAME> 2.6.32-37-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 20:32:42 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux