Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does faster ram improve gaming?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Does faster ram improve gaming?

My first thought when I read this thread's title was that faster rams make game hunting a pain in the butt unless you have a good long range rifle with a good scope. But I guess it depends on your personal preference of hunting style as to whether or not faster rams improve gaming.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

technically - yes, higher RAM clocks do increase performance
    reality - no, you wont really notice a difference big enough to be worth the money. Spending it in a better graphics card will increase performance incredibly. Second comes a better CPU to increase performance. Third comes RAM and fourth is your Motherboard.

in short: spend your money somewhere where it will actually make a difference.

regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    My first thought when I read this thread's title was that faster rams make game hunting a pain in the butt unless you have a good long range rifle with a good scope. But I guess it depends on your personal preference of hunting style as to whether or not faster rams improve gaming.
    Bit more lead should do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    You don't use an SSD for mass storage, there's no advantage to doing so. If you need space, you have an SSD for your system and an old-style spinny drive for storage. If you've only got room for one drive you use a hybrid.
    ++

I use an SSD for my main OS and applications, and then have a normal spinning 500GB drive for general storage and working with large files (such as video).
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Stop worrying about your ram, you've got DDR3@1333MHz. That coupled with your CPU & new GPU will be fine for gaming.

One thing you can check is the memory configuration in the motherboard BIOS, consult your MB manual.

Stop worrying and go play some games.
    Thanks, I got what I needed. A Mod can close this thread if you wish.
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by basher101 View Post
    technically - yes, higher ram clocks do increase performance
    reality - no, you wont really notice a difference big enough to be worth the money. Spending it in a better graphics card will increase performance incredibly. Second comes a better cpu to increase performance. Third comes ram and fourth is your motherboard.

In short: Spend your money somewhere where it will actually make a difference.

Regards
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdAL View Post
    Thanks, I got what I needed. A Mod can close this thread if you wish.
    Just mark it as solved.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345