Thread: How to change password policy?

Beans

How to change password policy?

It would appear the someone, in their absolute winsome, has once again decided to cram their ideas down everyones throat. Specifically the password policies and not allowing simple words. I can get that this would be important to some corporation hell bent on keeping thing secure but for the average home user with a box that is not exposed to the internet this has absolutely no benefit!!!

What is worse is that it was deployed via a service patch and without warning which is now costing me several hours worth of error correction to get cleaned up.

Actually it gets even worse! I can't find anywhere to actually change this criteria and the new Unity interface is proving itself just as useless on this front as all others.

It is coming down to trying to decide how much time would be burned up fixing all these issues vs just changing to Mint or some other distribution.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to change password policy?

I don't want to mess things up worse, but have you tried using the command
    Code:
    $ sudo passwd username
    where username is the name of the user, whose password you want to change?
    I've tried it on my Lucid i386 Server and it has no problems with short passwords
    Last edited by emiller12345; January 23rd, 2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: I messed up the wording, doh
    CADWEB Advance Toolkit Utility: http://cad.webatu.com/
    Homesite: http://digitalmagican.comze.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emiller12345 View Post
    I don't want to mess things up worse, but have you tried using the command
    Code:
    $ sudo passwd username
    where username is the name of the user, whose password you want to change?
    I've tried it on my Lucid i386 Server and it has no problems with short passwords
    I did and eventually I got to a point where at least I have things working. There is still a problem though in that the admin account can't have a simple password. All others can but not the primary account of the machine. This was not the case when I installed 11.10 before Christmas but it is now.

Beans

I spoke to soon.

Somehow the system, which has been working for over 24 hours, suddenly reverted back! It now doesn't reboot based on menu selections and it won't accept connections via VNC or from my MythTV fronted. I had to reboot through the command line with "sudo reboot" and then it was responding again.

Arg!!!