Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by soef View Post
    Hi there, I thought I would join in.

I just received my HP Folio, wiped it, and installed xubuntu 12.10.

My experience is fairly good. I had to adjust grub boot lines to get the right brightness and I used this link for a workaround for brightness control and going to suspend when closing the lid:

https://github.com/deliciousrobots/ubuntu-hp-folio-13

The only issue I have at the moment is the fan noise. I don't know how it responds in that other OS, but I think not all acpi settings are optimal... Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the fan noise?
    Re the fan - change the BIOS setting (can't remember which one now, but will be obvious) to stop it from running all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used this link for a workaround for brightness control and going to suspend when closing the lid:

https://github.com/deliciousrobots/ubuntu-hp-folio-13
    That's interesting! How did you find it? Is it working fine?

The only issue I have at the moment is the fan noise. I don't know how it responds in that other OS, but I think not all acpi settings are optimal... Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the fan noise?
    Try disabling the "Fan Always On" option in the BIOS setup (press ESC on startup / F10 / System Configuration).

Beans

Talking Re: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Hello everyone I just wanted to make a post for anyone who has or wants to upgrade to the most current version of Ubuntu 12.10 as of 1/27/2013

I have had to only follow a few steps to get my folio 13 running very well.

Here are all of the things I did (thanks to this forum group! )
    I just wanted to put everything in one place for those just coming in.

1. Back-light on at start:

open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    find the line that says
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    and in-between those quotes type
    Code:
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    press: control-X, Y, and Enter to save the file you just edited.

2. Fix Brightness Keys:

open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbacklight
    type Y to confirm the installation.

You can close the terminal now.

Next open up Keyboard Shortcuts by going to

System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts

click Custom Shortcuts

We are going to make two new shortcuts:
    press the add shortcut button (+)

name:
    Code:
    Brightness Up
    command:
    Code:
    xbacklight +10
    create a second shortcut

name:
    Code:
    Brightness Down
    command:
    Code:
    xbacklight -10
    3. Two Finger Scrolling

Go to System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad>Touchpad

Select Two-Finger Scrolling.

4. WIFI running as it should be 100% !

you have to follow these steps in this exact order.

Open terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    and finally
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    and then restart.

hopefully, if you were having problems with both wifi and wired internet, they will be running great.

Thanks everyone for helping me to get my folio 13 up and running better than ever!! And I hope this will help someone else in the future!=D>

And hopefully everything else that I didn't cover was already mentioned in this forum!
    Last edited by Elxyer; January 30th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Beans

Question Re: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Hi,

I have a HP Folio 13-2000, I am a Debian user and I wrote a… well, let's call it a collection of hardware-related bug reports.

I have a question for all Folio 13-2000 users. Could you please try to reproduce a bug? If you want some background information please have a look at these two (closed) bug reports:
    - Debian Bug 52111
    - Kernel Bug 695634

Now, the thing is that you wouldn't know about this bug since the default values in Ubuntu send your notebook into hibernation when the battery reports 300 seconds remaining power. I'm affected by this bug since Debian uses the default GNMOE vales, which means my notebook would be sent into hibernation when the battery reports 120 seconds remaining power. Somewhere between 240 and 300 seconds the reported values won't change anymore. So the battery reports that I have 4 minutes and some seconds left when the battery drains and my notebook suddenly shuts down (and I loose all my unsaved data).

Now this is how you should be able to reproduce this bug:
    - Open dconf editor.
    - Move to org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
    - change the following values: time-critical to 300 and time-action to 120 (remember the original values so that you are able to reset them later).
    - Let your battery drain (be careful to save all data when battery level gets low) and please report back what happens.

It would be really great if you could tell me whether you can reproduce this bug (which means your notebook doesn't go into hibernation, instead your battery just drains) or if your notebook is successfully sent into hibernation (as it should be).

Thanks!

EDIT: Forget it, I was wrong: the default settings in Ubuntu seem to be time-critical = 300 and time-action = 120 as well. I don't really get why nobody seems to be affected by this bug. I can reproduce it not only on Debian and Ubuntu, but also in Windows 7 if I change the setting for critical battery action to 3% - and not only on one but two Folio 13-2000...

I believe it's a BIOS bug. But this seems unlikely since obviously nobody else out there is affected by this bug... If someone with a Folio 13-2000 has this problem, please answer me and make me happy
    Last edited by stefannagy; February 8th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Beans

stefannagy, this is a great compilation. Thanks.

While you are probably right, I have no need to change my battery alarms (I think the default is 5% for critical under Windows 7), nor do I care to ever let my battery get that low. That said, if it ever does, I will change it to 3% for you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jayrod View Post
    While you are probably right, I have no need to change my battery alarms (I think the default is 5% for critical under Windows 7), nor do I care to ever let my battery get that low. That said, if it ever does, I will change it to 3% for you
    Yes, I think you're right: Windows 7 uses the percentage change (whereas GNOME uses the remaining time for its notifications and ciritcal battery actions by default) and will send your notebook into hibernation at 5 percent. When you try to reproduce this bug in Windows 7, maybe it's a good idea to set the critical battery value not to 3, but to 2 percent (further tests led me to the conclusion that the reported percentage will - at least sometimes - reach 3, but never 2 percent).

Since my warranty ends next week I tested this over the last two weeks and got in contact with HP support. They 'solved my problem' by telling me that I souldn't change the Windows default settings for the critical battery action and that my notebook 'works as designed'... So the Folio 13-2000 is defective by design and since the vendor defines this BIOS bug as some kind of feature there's no hope that it will get fixed.

BTW: Since you seem to have a notebook with a Broadcom Wi-Fi adapter (see your posting #43 in this thread) I don't think it's an HP Folio 13-2000, probably your sub-model isn't affected by this bug at all.

Cheers,
    Stefan.

Beans
    Distro

The backlight part worked for me. Just make sure to run "sudo update-grub" after editing the command to update the files.

The brightness keys part also worked, but I have to press the Fn key with F2 and F3 to get them to work. Is there a way to reverse that?

Also wireless worked out of the box, so I didn't need to edit anything. When I first used a live usb it didn't work, but during the install it all of a sudden cut on.

Lastly, your two-fingered scrolling fix did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by elxyer View Post
    Hello everyone I just wanted to make a post for anyone who has or wants to upgrade to the most current version of Ubuntu 12.10 as of 1/27/2013

I have had to only follow a few steps to get my folio 13 running very well.

Here are all of the things I did (thanks to this forum group! )
    I just wanted to put everything in one place for those just coming in.

1. Back-light on at start:

open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    find the line that says
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    and in-between those quotes type
    Code:
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    press: control-X, Y, and Enter to save the file you just edited.

2. Fix Brightness Keys:

open terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbacklight
    type Y to confirm the installation.

You can close the terminal now.

Next open up Keyboard Shortcuts by going to

System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts

click Custom Shortcuts

We are going to make two new shortcuts:
    press the add shortcut button (+)

name:
    Code:
    Brightness Up
    command:
    Code:
    xbacklight +10
    create a second shortcut

name:
    Code:
    Brightness Down
    command:
    Code:
    xbacklight -10
    3. Two Finger Scrolling

Go to System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad>Touchpad

Select Two-Finger Scrolling.

4. WIFI running as it should be 100% !

you have to follow these steps in this exact order.

Open terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    and finally
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    and then restart.

hopefully, if you were having problems with both wifi and wired internet, they will be running great.

Thanks everyone for helping me to get my folio 13 up and running better than ever!! And I hope this will help someone else in the future!=D>

And hopefully everything else that I didn't cover was already mentioned in this forum!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wbar2 View Post
    The brightness keys part also worked, but I have to press the Fn key with F2 and F3 to get them to work. Is there a way to reverse that?
    The default setting for the notebook's function-keys is 'Action Keys Mode': '<Enabled>' which means you don't have to press Fn+F9 to reduce volume for example (but only F9). If you want to press F9 (and not the action key), you'd have to press Fn+F9.

You can change this behaviour for all function-keys in BIOS: press ESC at startup, F10 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility and then navigate to System Configuration. Set 'Action Keys Mode' to '<Disabled>'. After that, the function keys work normally: when you press F9 you really get F9, when you press Fn+F9 you reduce volume.

I guess you don't want to change the behaviour for all keys but only for the brightness-keys – but that won't work.

PS: For more information about this issue see bug #974568.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! I had actually seen that option in the BIOS, but hadn't played with it. I think I will leave it setup the way it is right now. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by stefannagy View Post
    The default setting for the notebook's function-keys is 'Action Keys Mode': '<Enabled>' which means you don't have to press Fn+F9 to reduce volume for example (but only F9). If you want to press F9 (and not the action key), you'd have to press Fn+F9.

You can change this behaviour for all function-keys in BIOS: press ESC at startup, F10 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility and then navigate to System Configuration. Set 'Action Keys Mode' to '<Disabled>'. After that, the function keys work normally: when you press F9 you really get F9, when you press Fn+F9 you reduce volume.

I guess you don't want to change the behaviour for all keys but only for the brightness-keys – but that won't work.

PS: For more information about this issue see bug #974568.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Currently using the 13.04 alpha(?) on the 1029wm model. Brightness, media, and wireless keys don't work. Closing laptop does not suspend but suspend works manually. Broadcom wifi doesn't work all that well until you fix it. And you still have to add those parameters to grub so the backlight can turn on at boot. Seems like most of the problems from 12.10 still exist in 13.04 currently. This is using 3.8.0-9 kernel.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast