Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Beans

Re: HP Folio 13 Compatibility

Yes i'm using it on single boot mode, i've never launched win$ and erased all the disk content before lauching ubuntu installation.

Unfortunatly HP doesn't provide a way to get back money for the preinstalled os on their laptops... Sad too see that some manufacturers are still playing that kind of mistake...

Beans

vjust, I am using this as an installed version now, which is the default. The clickpad takes some getting used to, but the multitouch options and some configuration in compiz workaround the main difficulties.

* two finger scrolling
    * single tap for left click
    * double finger tap for right click
    * double tap without release on the Window title bar allow you to drag.
    * double tap without release on edges allow you to resize.

In short, physical clicking and dragging fails miserably, but you can work around clicking with 'gestures'.

Outstanding:
    * Backlight on boot.
    * acpi keys.
    * Power usage is considerably higher than windows, possibly linked to the above.
    * Battery lifetime and charging info is 'intermittent'.

If anyone can tell me where to submit data for a 'bug report' or to assist in development please message me here. I have tested with linux-image-3.3rc4 and none of these issues behave differently, so nothing upstream for us just yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can anyone post approximately how long the battery lasts even with the ACPI/brightness issues mentioned above?

I noticed on Planet Ubuntu that the kernel team has applied a patch to kernels 3.2.0-17.26 and up that should enable a low power idle mode for Sandy Bridge processors, which I believe this laptop has. I'm curious to see what the battery difference is between Oneric and Precise.

Beans

I just installed 11.10 on my HP Folio 13. The "acpi_backlight" tip works fine. Not using anything from 12.04.

What's working:
    • Wireless
    • Backlight (with grub patch)
    • Suspend when triggered manually
    • Audio seems fine
    • Seems to have about 5hrs of life if bightness to ~40%
    • Volume buttons
    • keyboard light button
    • Physical button and tap click works

What's not working:
    • Two finger scroll is inconsistent
    • Trackpad keeps getting activated when typing
    • Suspend on lid close
    • Brightness buttons
    • Wireless switch button
    • Physical clicking and dragging is doesn't work at same time

Beans

I am using the HP Folio 13-2000 series laptop. I tried booting Ubuntu 11.10 from USB and had no video (black screen) although I did hear the tell-tale music one hears upon successful boot. So, I assume things were working in the background, but my screen was black. The same thing occurred with Linux Mint 12.

I don't know if there are internal differences of any real substance between the 2000 series and what others may be using. Or, perhaps others are using the 2000 without issue and this is peculiar to me?

Anyway, I guess I will wait a bit.

Beans

The backlighting is completely off by default. Try either shining a bright flashlight at the screen so you can barely see what's going on, but can see it well enough to get to the Screen options and reset the backlighting, or add "acpi_backlight=vendor" in the Grub boot string as listed above. That should at least get you going.

As another note, install "gpointing-device-settings" seems to load a menu setting to better set things like palm detection for the Synaptics trackpad, and it's behaving better. These can also be set manually using "synclient", but I haven't really experimented much yet.

Beans

No luck with the flashlight route as the screen was still pure black. I tried the addtion to Grub, but as it was Grub4DOS, the command was not recognized. Ah well, it won't be long until the new version is released.

Thanks for help.

Beans

Got my Folio 13 yesterday, had a similar experience as others have stated. The grub mod did not work for me, and I had a python script that did the trick, until I upgraded Python (lol). Finally, this little fix seems to do the trick:

add this line to rc.local:
    echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
    Works well. My wireless card seems fine. The only issue I have left is the mouse which is not fully functional, but an external one plugged in does the trick for now until I can play with it some more. I may do the 12.04 upgrade just to see how well that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Got mine two days ago and you must install(build them first) the drivers from the broadcom website. The wireless signal is 10x better then the STA driver from the ubuntu repo.

Have 10.04 on mine and I am getting dodgy speeds and connectivity with the built in gigabit Ethernet. Seems to be much slower then gigabit during speed tests and downloads constantly timeout and have to be restarted.

Anybody else seeing this?

EDIT:

Seems to be an outdated driver again. You can download the newest from here http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...etDown=false#2

download the one for your kernel. Mine was "LINUX driver for kernel 2.6.x and 2.4.x (Support x86 and x64)". To find your kernel version do
    Code:
    uname -a
    Then just untar it and they give you a nice little script to remove the old module, build it, and install it. So just run (This is in the README):
    Code:
    sudo ./autorun.sh
    Last edited by sportsdude81; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ububtusincev8 View Post
    Got my Folio 13 yesterday, had a similar experience as others have stated. The grub mod did not work for me, and I had a python script that did the trick, until I upgraded Python (lol). Finally, this little fix seems to do the trick:

add this line to rc.local:
    echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
    Works well. My wireless card seems fine. The only issue I have left is the mouse which is not fully functional, but an external one plugged in does the trick for now until I can play with it some more. I may do the 12.04 upgrade just to see how well that works.
    Alright the super bright back light is starting to **** me off. Anybody have any (I mean any) way of adjusting it. I am using Lucid and I don't have acpi_video0/brightness in my /sys/class/backlight folder. It seems kind of ridiculous that the only way to adjust the backlight is with the hardware keys.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast