Thread: linux-->win7 / linux network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

linux-->win7 / linux network

hello there.-..
    atm ive got 3 computers running in the network.
    i have installed win7 ultimate on all computers, and ive got ubuntu 10.04LTS on 2 of them, and this one has the newer 11.10

Anyways.. ive installed ubuntu, to learn it, and try to migrate over from windows.

This computer with the ubuntu 11.10 im hoping to function as dedicated fileserver....
    so i want it to work on the network, not depending if i log on windows or linux on the clients.

ive searched kinda much. but ive used windows since the day we wrote our own autoexec.bat files. and linux is a whole new world. Ive figured i need a werry detailed guide.
    (doesnt help me to get a guide who sais: then its just to configure cnf file (when i dont know how))

so i need to know what "network" i should run , but the main issue is, since im new to linux, i need the ultimate detailed guide.,... where its not assumed that ppl know anything about linux.

Thanx in adv.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: linux-->win7 / linux network

Hi,

It seems to me what you're looking for is a guide to setting up a Samba fileserver. This allows Windows clients to access files shared on a Linux machine over a network.

A great guide is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/server...ileserver.html

and more in-depth documentation is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

When the guide tells you to edit a .conf file, then - from a terminal window type:

Code:
    gksudo gedit path-and-name-of-file
    So, when the guide tells you to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, you would type:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Since these are system files, you need to edit them with elevated privileges, which is what sudo or gksudo does - think of it as the Windows "Run as administrator" option for a program. gedit is the name of a GUI-based text editor.
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDigital View Post
    hello there.-..
    atm ive got 3 computers running in the network.
    i have installed win7 ultimate on all computers, and ive got ubuntu 10.04LTS on 2 of them, and this one has the newer 11.10

Anyways.. ive installed ubuntu, to learn it, and try to migrate over from windows.

This computer with the ubuntu 11.10 im hoping to function as dedicated fileserver....
    so i want it to work on the network, not depending if i log on windows or linux on the clients.

ive searched kinda much. but ive used windows since the day we wrote our own autoexec.bat files. and linux is a whole new world. Ive figured i need a werry detailed guide.
    (doesnt help me to get a guide who sais: then its just to configure cnf file (when i dont know how))

so i need to know what "network" i should run , but the main issue is, since im new to linux, i need the ultimate detailed guide.,... where its not assumed that ppl know anything about linux.

Thanx in adv.
    I've been pointed to many highly detailed guides to set up Samba and file sharing between linux and windows, none of the guides have ever worked for me even when I follow them very closely, and samba was never stable for me. Sometimes working, sometimes not working, working one moment and then the next moment unable to find any network or, asking me for login credentials when I specifically marked the "allow guests"

So,
    I set up an FTP server with HTTP access as well. If you search around you might be able to find some good FTP guides. I haven't had any problems with FTP except over wi-fi (so I use http for wi-fi)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    might be something wrong i get, but i got a empty file, and have noe clue, what to put there ... ill restart and try again..
    managed to see a few of my shared files in win 7 but got msg about file misspelling?
    ill try and take a new look at the guides..and thanks alot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok...had you opened a terminal window and run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    first?
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness