Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else having trouble playing amazon prime videos?

Beans

Anybody else having trouble playing amazon prime videos?

I used to play amazon prime videos just fine. Yesterday, it started to not work. The video plays for 2 seconds and then alerts "Sorry we were unable to stream this video. This is likely because your Flash Player needs to be updated."

I tried reinstalling the latest version of flash but it is still not working. I called amazon support and they ran me around the same circles: reinstall flash, restart the computer, try a different browser, etc. After not reaching a solution, I was told they are escalating the issue and will call me back next week.

I'm wondering if anybody else has the same issue? Maybe there was an OS update that broke something. Maybe amazon updated their player and it is no longer working with linux flash. I would like to solve this problem so I can get back to streaming movies/shows on my ubuntu machine. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with the latest chrome and firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Anybody else having trouble playing amazon prime videos?

I too am experiencing this with Amazon streaming. On Ubuntu 11.10 and Debian Squeeze with Iceweasel Firefox & Chrome browsers. It worked fine for my 30 day trial, then I plunked down my 79 bucks and it breaks the next day.

I have found some instances where a video will play, which tells me it's Amazon's screw-up and not a Flash issue.

I get a "updating player" message then the error dialog. On the videos I have been able to get to work, no "updating player" message appeared.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Same problem here. I spoke to an Amazon representative and he said he will get back to me asap. I will post any answers I receive. I hope Amazon is not going the "We don't support Linux" route.

They have the URL to this post, so please post if you are having problems so they can have as much info as possible.
    Last edited by Super R; January 23rd, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

The video plays for me for about 2 seconds before it stops and errors. Maybe the problem has to do with the DRM and an issue between the linux version of flash and the amazon implementation!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just spoke to the Amazon rep again. He looked up some info and said it is a known problem and they are working on it. He said he will be contacting me with updates and I will post here when I know something new.

FYI, mine originally played a couple of seconds then error, but now it just pops the error message after "Connecting".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Super R View Post
    Just spoke to the Amazon rep again. He looked up some info and said it is a known problem and they are working on it. He said he will be contacting me with updates and I will post here when I know something new.

FYI, mine originally played a couple of seconds then error, but now it just pops the error message after "Connecting".
    Yay. You've gotten much farther with customer service than I was able to. I'm glad this is being fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm able to play trailers with Opera . The trailers may not be long enough to reproduce the error though .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also have experienced this issue on any 11.10 system. The flash installer from medibuntu repos has the problem.

Oddly, I tested a linux Mint Debian installation. It also experienced the issue, but after installing Flash-Aid addon for firefox, the Mint installation now works. This is true for a second Mint Debian install I tested on different hardware.

Flash-Aid for Ubuntu 11.10 did not work however, on two different installations.

So far, this thread is the only hit I've seen of this issue. Be a real shame if I had to cancel Prime account for this... *sigh*
    Home: HP DV7-1242 Laptop, ATI, 6 GB RAM, 320GB HD, AMD TurionX2 2.1ghz
    Home: HP DV6646us Laptop, nVidia, 4 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, AMD TurionX2 1.9ghz
    Work: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, nvidia, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Core i5
    Ubuntu User # 21,107

Beans

I've tried installing a few different versions of flash but none of them are working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just another note- playback works without issue on the HD cotent- no error or player update message, etc. Non-HD TV episodes or movies experience the problem.
    Home: HP DV7-1242 Laptop, ATI, 6 GB RAM, 320GB HD, AMD TurionX2 2.1ghz
    Home: HP DV6646us Laptop, nVidia, 4 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, AMD TurionX2 1.9ghz
    Work: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, nvidia, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Core i5
    Ubuntu User # 21,107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast