Thread: How many users per web server

Beans

How many users per web server

Considering I can buy strong severs (well at least severs for arroun 10K$ )
    How many users per web server I can get if I run a facebook lite like apllication?

Thanks for the answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How many users per web server

Quote Originally Posted by t_ras View Post
    Considering I can buy strong severs (well at least severs for arroun 10K$ )
    How many users per web server I can get if I run a facebook lite like apllication?

Thanks for the answer.

A server like that can manage A LOT! But another important factor is the internet connection. You would have to have at least business class cable internet.... At the very least, if you can get a fiber optic connection, do it.

Beans

of course it will be hosted in a profetional farm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Facebook is comprised of servers all over the world, with over 10 backups for every location, each with its own LVM snapshots over raid. $10K wont get you anything like facebook. But without redundancy and global positioning in your question, and without ISP costs mentioned above, i would say for every 1,000 dollars of server hardware you could support 1,000 reads. Writes and authenticated databases writes is a whole other chapter. You compared your ideas to the biggest social networking site in the world :- )
    Last edited by kevinthecomputerguy; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typos

Beans

1) of course I didnt meant I will buy only one server, I was thinking of a few docens.
    2) I only need to take care of web, DB is taken care of
    3) of course I'm not planning to be facebook, I was thinking of a hundred thousand users at most. just a similar type of application.
    4) Thanks for the answer

I'll clarify my self better next time.

Beans

I'd consider starting with one or more virtual servers from a reputable company like Linode. You can get a pretty substantial server from them for $500 per month or so. That gives you a lot more flexibility to expand as your business grows.

If you're uncomfortable with a virtual server, then renting physical servers from hosting companies is another good option. I wouldn't invest in hardware at the outset.

I'd spend a lot more on marketing than I would on server resources if you're just starting out.

Beans

Thanks for the answers.