Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    I ran the command

    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
    earlier. Would that be why those commands are not working?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Still needing help. Thanks for the help so far!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Is there anyone who can help me out?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NEPAL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    I think there is some problem with your video stuff...as u said its onboard, but u said u had some problems with it earlier during installation too... still one more time i suggest u do something with your onboard stuff...Goodluck
    I am # 34550 and # 547844


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    I think there is some problem with your video stuff...as u said its onboard, but u said u had some problems with it earlier during installation too... still one more time i suggest u do something with your onboard stuff...Goodluck
    What exactly should I do? I'm still new to handling problems like this in Ubuntu--I need to know what commands I need to run. Thanks!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NEPAL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    ok i got this from somewhere......
    Boot to live mode from the cd.
    There open gparted and see if u find anything unusual with your partition stuff....
    then,open terminal and try the following:
    Code:
    sudo add apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    add the repo...and then install boot repair with following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    it will scan your system. Try the recommended repair and see if it works.


    Goodluck
    Regards,WinuxUser
    I am # 34550 and # 547844


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    ok i got this from somewhere......
    Boot to live mode from the cd.
    There open gparted and see if u find anything unusual with your partition stuff....
    then,open terminal and try the following:
    Code:
    sudo add apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    add the repo...and then install boot repair with following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    it will scan your system. Try the recommended repair and see if it works.


    Goodluck
    Regards,WinuxUser
    O
    I don't have a live CD, and the live USB drive that I used to install isn't being recognized by my computer for some reason. It's a brand new device. Maybe you could help me get that mounted?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NEPAL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Sorry mate, I haven't tried out linux from pendrives till now so i have no idea what is needed to be done.
    Still, have u changed ur BIOS settings to boot from your pendrive and restarted your machine?? Looks funny to ask but still....
    I am # 34550 and # 547844


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Sorry mate, I haven't tried out linux from pendrives till now so i have no idea what is needed to be done.
    Still, have u changed ur BIOS settings to boot from your pendrive and restarted your machine?? Looks funny to ask but still....
    No, that didn't seem to make sense because it doesn't seem to be recognizing it at all, but I will try that now anyway.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Beans
    115
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Computer suddenly won't boot to desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Tider View Post
    No, that didn't seem to make sense because it doesn't seem to be recognizing it at all, but I will try that now anyway.
    That didn't work. It's not showing as a boot option in the BIOS screen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •