Thread: A good opengl + C tutorial? (not C++)

Beans

A good opengl + C tutorial? (not C++)

Hello, I have been searching for good modern opengl + C tutorials with google. Everything seems to involve C++ somehow. I do not want to learn a new programming language to do something that should be possible with C. I've tried to read many opengl + C++ tutorials and adapt them to C, but the problem comes when I need to do transformations. Then many tutorials link to GLM and force to switch to C++.

I know i could just make the file from .c to .cpp but I think it's kind of stupid to write programs in C and then get some useless overhead from C++.

So I'm asking if you know a good C + opengl tutorial? (also I'd prefer them with SDL, but it's not necessary since adapting that is easy.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A good opengl + C tutorial? (not C++)

You could try: http://www.lighthouse3d.com/tutorials/

I don't know if it's really good though.
    ohterwise try to get yourself a copy of the redbook

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book/

cheers,

Maarten
    Windows DOS not compute...

Beans

That seems to be a very good tutorial. I have seen that site before, I just thought it's C++ only, but a closer inspection made it clear that it's C/C++. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SGFzc2U= View Post
    Hello, I have been searching for good modern opengl + C tutorials with google. Everything seems to involve C++ somehow. I do not want to learn a new programming language to do something that should be possible with C. I've tried to read many opengl + C++ tutorials and adapt them to C, but the problem comes when I need to do transformations. Then many tutorials link to GLM and force to switch to C++.
    Even if you don't use C++, you should be able to understand code written in it. Taking the OpenGL calls and incorporating them into a C program would be a good exercise that you understand them. I would rather find good OpenGL tutorials that explain what's going on - even if the language is something you don't know.

I know i could just make the file from .c to .cpp but I think it's kind of stupid to write programs in C and then get some useless overhead from C++.
    There is no "overhead" of C++ if you do not use C++ features such as virtual functions or exceptions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Even if you don't use C++, you should be able to understand code written in it. Taking the OpenGL calls and incorporating them into a C program would be a good exercise that you understand them. I would rather find good OpenGL tutorials that explain what's going on - even if the language is something you don't know.

There is no "overhead" of C++ if you do not use C++ features such as virtual functions or exceptions.
    Yes and no...
    Generally, C++ compilers do a slightly worse job than C compilers so C code is usually marginally faster... however, we're taking very small differences so effectively they have the same performance.
    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/cpp.php

Beans

This is what helped me get my feet wet. It teachings laid the framework for me to build an enterprise level OpenGL server software interface from scratch:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

It has examples in many software languages and for many platforms. Have fun!