Thread: GNU developement tools

Beans

GNU developement tools

Hello,

I installed desktop version of ubuntu drapper on AMD64.

It does not have any GNU development tools like make, gcc,g++ etc

I was wondering if there is any easy way to install all the development tools without running into version problems.

Thanks

Beans

Re: GNU developement tools

Hey! Just like me and I had the same basic questions ...the short answer is that you likely already have much of what you need right on the installation disk, and the rest is available via the Ubuntu software pages online. Past that, I haven't gotten yet. I haven't tried the other installs yet, but will this weekend. Here's the thread where I asked the same questions:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280097

And here's where you can browse s/w and download debs for virtually anything you can think of:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper

Have fun ...don't ask me what to do with debs yet, but I'll figure it out. The hardest part of the question was the "where to get it" question...

Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You need to install build-essential.

Just type "sudo apt-get install build-essential" in the command line or search for it in synaptic.

Beans

But using apt-get means getting the s/w online, right? That's great for getting the latest stuff, but someone else mentioned that the install disk itself may have the build-essential stuff right on it. What *I* would like to know is how to point at a deb that's on a CD that I burned at work ...but before I cloud the lines with questions, I need to go home and try it ...probably this weekend. I figure that if I can get my old P-III working as a dual-boot machine w/BIOS addressing limitations, that I can probably figure out how to get a deb to install...

Brian