Thread: Blank screen after bootup

Beans

Blank screen after bootup

I thought I had ubuntu 11.10 nicely installed on a G5. After I rebooted though, I can't view anything on my desktop. The splash screen after boot looks fine. I log in and then get just colored areas where the dock and desktop image would be. I can see the menu bar across the top, but nothing else.

There should be a way to boot up with compriz disabled (which I think would let me get in and update the nvidia drivers.) Could someone point me in the right direction? I can get to a non-graphic terminal screen for boot up, but don't seem to have the right command to use.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Blank screen after bootup

How have you installed? Have you checked out the PowerPC Known Issues https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues or PowerPCFAQ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ ? If you have already then please ammend them if you feel the instructions are unclear.

At the login screen - if you can see it - then you choose Ubuntu 2D to load without compiz stuff. There should be a cog/wrench type thing next to your name - if you click that you can change your session.

Beans

Yes, I read the FAQs before, during and after the install. What wasn't clear was how to get to the session options. That was exactly what I needed to know and it came up fine in 2D. It might be a good thing to add that to the FAQ.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Glad it worked. Please make the change. Community supported not rsavage supported!