Thread: Removing avatar and signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Removing avatar and signature

Private messages from an administrator should say that in the subject line or be visibly marked in some way. I have been accused of ignoring a request, from an administrator about my profile pic and signature. Why was it ignored? Because the subject was simply "Hi". It came from a person whose screen name that suggests the sender may be an 'alcoholic'. Looked like spam to me. Since my brother was killed by a drunk driver, I find his screen name to be much more offensive than my signature was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Removing avatar and signature

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is it you would like done from here? By your own admission, you choose to ignore the PM, and suffered the consequences. If they are spam, or inappropriate in some way, report them and the staff will manage it.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

I chose to ignore it because I had no idea who it was from. Should I expose my self to what looks like spam simply because you have a moderator that can not put the correct subject line in the PM. I contend that is unreasonable. I have had the same avatar and signature since I joined and figured out I could put it up there. Now after almost 4 years(a guess as I do not know exact date I uploaded them) it is suddenly offensive. Also, for reasons I explained, I do find his screen name offensive and it should be changed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Your avatar and sig were changed as they were a violation of the Code of Conduct.

We do not have sufficient staff to review each and every member, post, avatar, sig, etc, we manage them as we find them or they are reported.

You may have slipped under the radar for a while as it seems you have been relatively inactive, but that does not in any way excuse you from the CoC or forums policy.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

This section UF has a very deceptive name. It implies that the admins might actually reverse some thing. And once in a great while you do. You asked what should be done. What I thought should be done was in my first post. Was it not.

What I see reading this section though is a bunch of admins ganging up on people.

People use/try this product. They become frustrated. It is different than all others. Lets see, Ubuntu is your OS, you need help you go to Ubuntu Forums. Makes sense right. So a frustrated person must now be very careful as to what words they use because someone somewhere in the world may be offended. Well, in parts of the world being offensive is not all that hard to do. Your personal stock response usually ends with 'good luck on another forum'. That is the same as "go back to windows", is it not. I thought that was highly frowned upon.

An avatar is a statement. Just as much as words are. Do you see a double arc and think of KFC? Religious symbols can be just as effective as the sentence. When we see religious symbols we all know what they stand for. It is grossly unfair to allow a religious person a symbol to convey their beliefs while not allowing another person an avenue for theirs.

You yourself promote an ideology in your signature. But then you admins are the masters of your universe and your rules for others are just that...rules for others.

Before I get your stock answer allow me to say this. I am relatively inactive (highly speculative as a persons need for help relates to their ability), on this site for a reason. This is, in my experience a hostile environment for the average non-Guru. Which is a disservice to a great OS and it's parent company. Ubuntu lost it's number one spot because of their attitude. Myopic comes to mind.