Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

Beans

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

Not sure where to stick this but...

This new Ultrabook looks pretty freakin nifty..

How long do you think it will take Ubuntu or maybe the Gnome people to develop it uses if ever?

Beans

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

I will update my experience with 12.10 tomorrow!

I am a little worried about the EFI boot lock.

Quote Originally Posted by '76 View Post
    Not sure where to stick this but...

This new Ultrabook looks pretty freakin nifty..

How long do you think it will take Ubuntu or maybe the Gnome people to develop it uses if ever?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apauld View Post
    I will update my experience with 12.10 tomorrow!
    Anything new yet?

I am curious about running Ubuntu on that yoga device.

Does anybody else have yet their hands on that device and has tried to run Ubuntu on it?

Beans

I have successfully booted into both Ubuntu 12.10 and Xubuntu 12.10 on the Lenovo Yoga. It worked surprisingly well in terms of the touch screen interface, but I could not get a wireless connection working, and sadly it does not have an ethernet port. One way to boot in from USB is to go to the Settings in Windows 8, under the General tab, and there is an Advanced Restart option, which allows you to boot from USB device. The other option is there is a tiny 'Novo' button next to the power button, which when pressed with the computer off, will give you different boot options. Hopefully Lenovo will release wireless drivers soon. Right now, they don't even have a User Guide online yet! I plan to make post some videos soon. I Love the form factor, but on the 128GB SSD, I only have 40GB available [all kinds of crazy Windows partitions], and I haven't barely installed anything yet! Because of that (and awful webcam) I plan on returning it.

Beans

Not as much luck for me but only spend a few minutes so far. I booted 12.10 and got a busybox prompt but haven't had the time to troubleshoot it. Windows 8 was interesting for about 24 hours, now it's time to get back to normal. If I can get Ubuntu to work, I will keep it. Otherwise, it's going back as well.

Beans

For what it's worth, I used Unetbootin to create my USB stick with the 64 bit image... Mine is already back at the store!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gogibby View Post
    For what it's worth, I used Unetbootin to create my USB stick with the 64 bit image... Mine is already back at the store!
    Do you know if there is a similar laptop that will work with ubuntu. Did you try to use boot-repair in order to boot directly from the hard disk.

Beans

Thanks guys for sharing your experience.

That sounds not very good ... well - i thought lenovo is a partner of canonical - i really hoped that the yoga will be compatible with ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very useful for me as well. And disappointing. I guess it'll be another year or so before it is safe to buy a convertible tablet compatible with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    Very useful for me as well. And disappointing. I guess it'll be another year or so before it is safe to buy a convertible tablet compatible with Ubuntu.
    look at the intel web site new ones are coming from other vendors. The Asus looks promising. I tried the acer V5 touchpad with the live CD of Ubuntu 12.10. It seams to work fine. The only issue is that I do not know how to change the HD to SSD. Otherwise I would keep it. It is $100 off at Costco now. It is also a little heavy (5 lb)

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast