Thread: partition/boot mount help

Beans

partition/boot mount help

Hi guys! I've searched and found a couple related posts but I want to ask the question as it directly relates to my system because I really don't want to mess anything up!

I want to install ubuntu alongside Windows 7, on a 100GB partition I've prepared (which I'm pretty sure is /dev/sda6). Here's what I have available to me:
    Code:
    /dev/sda 750.2GB   ATA WDC WD7500BPVT-8
      /dev/sda1 fat32  26.8GB Windows Recovery Environment
      /dev/sda2 ntfs  300.1GB Windows 7 (loader)
      /dev/sda5 ntfs  318.4GB <nothing>
      /dev/sda6 ntfs  104.9GB <nothing>
    So if I want to be able to dual boot, keep Windows 7, and install ubuntu on the 100GB partition, what settings do I want for
    a) the /dev/sda6 device (my options are a bunch of file system types I don't recognize plus fat16, fat32, ntfs, and swap; this is a 64-bit machine, in case that matters), and
    b) the "Device for boot loader"? Should this just be /dev/sda or do I want it to be /dev/sda6 also?

Thank you so much, I'm excited to get started!

Beans

Re: partition/boot mount help

Install Ubuntu on sda6 and mark it as /root and format as ext4.Install bootloader on sda and Ubuntu will be first OS on boot.If you want to change that you can use https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StartUpManager or http://www.ubuntugeek.com/grub-custo...-included.html. I think 100GB for root is too much and it is good to have separate home partition.In case you decide you want to do it that way

1. root=~20GB mountpoint /root
    2.swap=2G
    3.home=rest of free space mountpoint /home

If you have separate home you can reinstall,fresh install...without losing your files & setings.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.