Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Configure UFW Firewall to allow Transmission

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Configure UFW Firewall to allow Transmission

No worries - glad I could help a fellow canuck.

As for the mac address piece, its not located in the port forwarding section. If your router does have this functionality, it would be located in the section where you configure the DHCP settings for the internal LAN. Feel free to post back the make/model of your router and I'll see if I can find out if the functionality exists and where its located.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looked around a bit more in the web menu and couldn't find it, but if you're willing to try to find that functionality it is a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G model.

It did find the following from the help section for the port forwarding: "When users send this type of request to your network via the Internet, the Router will forward those requests to the appropriate PC. Any PC whose port is being forwarded must have its DHCP client function disabled and must have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP address may change when using the DHCP function."

I think I understand that, I'm just not sure how to do that in practice. Is that something I could set up for just my computer (there are 3 computers using this wireless, plus 3 mobiles), or would disabling DHCP only be an all-or-none sort of switch? Thanks in advance.
    "Basically what Ubuntu says is that we don’t make sense alone as human beings...we are only fully human and only fully able to live, to flourish, to function, all of those things, in a community. I am what I am because we are."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just looking at the manual, and it doesn't look like this router has that functionality (usually called "DHCP Reservation"). However, what you can do is manually set an ip address for your device that is outside the dhcp range and port forward to that address.

If you look at the DHCP tab in the router settings you will see a starting IP address (default = 192.16.8.1.100) and a "Maximum number of dhcp leases" value. This means that all dhcp connections will use the ip addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is 100 plus the value in the "Maximum number of dhcp leases" box. In reality, this network subnet can take any address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 so if you manually set and address outside of the dhcp reserved space, you should be ok.

For example, if the router is set at its default values, the easiest way would be to manually set your computer to:
    - ip address = 192.168.1.99
    - subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
    - gateway = 192.168.1.1 (this should be the address of the router itself)
    - dns = 192.168.1.1 (this should also be the address of the router)

And then change the port-forwarding rule to point to 192.168.1.99.

One thing to keep in mind if you end up going with a manual address is that if you connect to different networks/routers and depend on dhcp to do so, you'll need to change your network card from manual to dhcp to make the connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    For example, if the router is set at its default values, the easiest way would be to manually set your computer to:
    - ip address = 192.168.1.99
    - subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
    - gateway = 192.168.1.1 (this should be the address of the router itself)
    - dns = 192.168.1.1 (this should also be the address of the router)
    Works perfectly (posting now from my new 192.168.1.150 IP ), I didn't know you could do this, this has been a great learning experience! I would like to learn more about networking basics like this in general, what would you recommend for learning? I understand some basics, but find reading the wikis on TCP/IP and networking protocols to be a bit mind boggling for a beginner to be honest. Thanks again!
    "Basically what Ubuntu says is that we don’t make sense alone as human beings...we are only fully human and only fully able to live, to flourish, to function, all of those things, in a community. I am what I am because we are."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser81 View Post
    I would like to learn more about networking basics like this in general, what would you recommend for learning?
    I don't really know what to recommend. My knowledge came mostly from internet tidbits and hands-on trial and error. I'm sure you can find alot of free online resources to help understand it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser81 View Post
    ...I would like to learn more about networking basics like this in general, what would you recommend for learning? I understand some basics, but find reading the wikis on TCP/IP and networking protocols to be a bit mind boggling for a beginner to be honest. Thanks again!
    I was able to wrap my mind around the concept using these free tutorials I found:

http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/free...raining-videos

In particular I liked the "TCP/IP and Networking Fundamentals" which was an 8-part series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12