Thread: Trying to get HP All-In-One to scan and save file with press of scan button on printe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Trying to get HP All-In-One to scan and save file with press of scan button on printe

I have an Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition setup as a file/print server for my house. I am trying to setup an HP Photosmart C3180 All-In-One that is plugged into the server through USB. The server is running headless so I'd like to be able to press the scan button on the Photosmart, have it automatically scan and save the file (preferably PDF) to a specific folder that is shared on the network. This way there is no need to plug a mouse, keyboard, monitor into the server.

I do already successfully have it setup to share the files and printer with samba. I also have hplib installed on the server and setup for the printer.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Trying to get HP All-In-One to scan and save file with press of scan button on pr

bump

Beans

Re: Trying to get HP All-In-One to scan and save file with press of scan button on pr

I see there was no response since January. I don't know how to scan using the Scan button on the device, but you can at least share the scanner using saned - see this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

AFAIK That's a windows-only feature. Please note that even with windows, it only works with software installed and resident on the computer you want to send the scan to. I am not aware of any such software for GNU/Linux is general and Ubuntu in particular.
    I'm thinking about it