Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with thunderbird, firefox and flash

Beans

Problem with thunderbird, firefox and flash

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem with Thunderbird, Firefox and the Adobe flash player. When I simply open Firefox and navigate to a page containing a flash player, say, a youtube video, everything works as it is supposed to.

However, when I click on a link in an email message in thunderbird that takes me to a page containing a flash player, it doesn't work! In the case of youtube the "video" is just a black box. Also when I then go to the youtube homepage and look up the video from there it still won't do it.

It seems that when Firefox is spawned by Thunderbird, flash player doesn't work in it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've already tried reinstalling the flash player using the software center, and as you might guess or I wouldn't be posting this, without any result.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with thunderbird, firefox and flash

Do you have more than one Firefox application installed on your system?

Beans

Thanks for your response.
    No, I don't. At least not that I'm aware of.

"whereis firefox" puts out:
    Code:
    firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /etc/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz
    EDIT: And it also doesn't say that flash isn't installed or something, which it does when I remove it. It's loading something but... ??
    Last edited by one-up; January 17th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you have an addon in Thunderbird installed called Thunderbrowse?

What happens if you right click on the link in email and choose to Open in Browser?

Beans

No, I don't have that plugin installed. Using "Open Link In Browser" doesn't work either.
    I also found an option in the menu's called "Restart with Add-ons disabled", no luck with that either.

Beans

I have the exact same problem, it started just now, or more likely a few hours ago because then ubuntu did some updates, i guess something got messed up with Firefox then. I dont remember exactly what was updated though, the only thing i remember seeing in the update window was some ffshow update, among others. the funny thing is that flash works fine on youtube, but not on many other places, like some newspapers im reading. I also have disabled all addons to no avail. I guess we will see more of these complaints in the next few hours if it indeed was an ubuntu update that broke it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aladoinsano View Post
    I have the exact same problem, it started just now, or more likely a few hours ago because then ubuntu did some updates, i guess something got messed up with Firefox then. I dont remember exactly what was updated though, the only thing i remember seeing in the update window was some ffshow update, among others.
    Hey, I remember seeing that one flash by too.

Beans

I was a bit trigger happy here it seems... I dont have the same problem, and it was not due to an ubuntu update.. It was Wikipedia's fault!

I forgot that I disabled Java Script earlier today to view wikipedia (they used a java script to block their site).

But I wish you good luck with your problem!

Beans

I forgot that I disabled Java Script earlier today to view wikipedia (they used a java script to block their site).
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by aladoinsano View Post
    But I wish you good luck with your problem!
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

one-up
    How many email accounts do you have set up in Tbird?
    If more than one, does it happen in all accounts?

Edit>>you are using Thunderbird 8.0 correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast