Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Fall-Back Session Gnome 3.8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

No Fall-Back Session Gnome 3.8

This doesn't affect me but I thought it may be of interest.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/fallb...o-be.html#more
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: No Fall-Back Session Gnome 3.8

Rip

But it is my understanding that Gnome Remix will still offer Classic. Of course that's subject to change, classic was not intended to last this long. I don't think.

Beans

"this decision affects Unity, LXDE or Xfce too because they make use of some fallback components like tray icons of GNOME Settings Daemon."

It seems a many desktops are to be affected by this change. and some software as well, like Totem and Cheese.

What are these other desktops supposed to do now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is the Gnome Remix mission statement:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

It says this:

The Ubuntu GNOME Remix is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories.
    My guess is that once Ubuntu switches to Gnome 3.8, then Gnome Remix will have to be based on Gnome 3.8 and hence no Gnome Fall-back mode.

From this link we can see that Gnome 3.7 becomes 3.8 on or after 27th March 2013.

https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 9th, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by deeinmetrodc View Post
    "this decision affects Unity, LXDE or Xfce too because they make use of some fallback components like tray icons of GNOME Settings Daemon."

It seems a many desktops are to be affected by this change. and some software as well, like Totem and Cheese.

What are these other desktops supposed to do now?
    I switched to XFCE to get away from the consistently bad decisions the GNOME devs are still making with their desktop, and figured I was finally free of that nonsense until I read this.

Now they have officially pissed in my cereal. Somebody seriously needs to start a petition with 20,000+ signatures to give the Gnome development team a wakeup slap to their nauseating obstinacy, I would sign that in a heartbeat. If they want to keep changing their desktop, fine, but they're crazy if they seriously want to instigate more geek-rage than Unity ever attracted.

Beans

But isn't that the best idea? Move to XFCE. I can't understand the hankering after Gnome to be something it isn't any more, especially not when (imho) what Gnome has evolved into is pretty neat, and XFCE is such an able replacement for those of you missing Gnome 2.

I must be the only person on this forum who A) doesn't miss Gnome 2 one bit, and B) loves Gnome 3! But I think they are right to remove the fallback mode personally. What use case does it suit?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    But isn't that the best idea? Move to XFCE. I can't understand the hankering after Gnome to be something it isn't any more, especially not when (imho) what Gnome has evolved into is pretty neat, and XFCE is such an able replacement for those of you missing Gnome 2.

I must be the only person on this forum who A) doesn't miss Gnome 2 one bit, and B) loves Gnome 3! But I think they are right to remove the fallback mode personally. What use case does it suit?
    No, you're not alone. Personally, Gnome 3 with Gnome-shell is my favourite DE by miles. I can't name anything that I don't like about it, really.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: No Fall-Back Session Gnome 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    Now they have officially pissed in my cereal.
    Seems to me they are out to **** in everyone's cereal and in the scrambled eggs too.

If they want to keep changing their desktop, fine, but they're crazy if they seriously want to instigate more geek-rage than Unity ever attracted.
    I've come to the conclusion that they don't give a sparrow fart what any of us think.
    They know we are all pissed,but they really do not care. It's all about their precious "brand".
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty
    Seems to me they are out to **** in everyone's cereal and in the scrambled eggs too.
    They've been doing that since Gnome 3, but yeah, this is probably their first decision to affect other desktop environments in years. =P

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Fallback mode was horribly broken anyway. I was loathing that flaky and inflexible thing in minutes, and it kept breaking even more with updates to beat it all!

Switching to Xubuntu's XFCE was much better for me since I have more functionality and customization options than Gnome 2 ever had, so it was a win-win. (Loved XFCE when I first tried it years ago, but wasn't as mature as it is now.) I won't miss fallback mode at all since XFCE can do that and then some, but it just kinda stings that the Gnome devs are dropping what little remnants of 2 were left. It seems Gnome 3 is about be a beast of its own pretty soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This doesn't stop anyone else from maintaining gnome-panel and Metacity in the future. It just means the GNOME project won't be devoting any more resources to it, since their focus is elsewhere (and a nice part of GNOME 3 has been having a sharper focus). Metacity and the panel are both solid codebases at this point, and anyone who wants to keep them going is absolutely welcome to it. Heck, if you're just concerned about the UI, you don't even need to maintain Metacity anyway; you can run gnome-panel on any window manager you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast