Thread: ubuntu 11.10 glut install not working

Beans

ubuntu 11.10 glut install not working

Hey guys, I tried posting this to askUbuntu and it didn't seem like the right place and was told to try it here. So here is what I posted and hope someone could help me out.

I currently installed ubuntu 11.10 on my acer netbook overwriting my previous windows starter OS and am having a problem getting some packages I need for an upcoming class. I am using the most updated version and have a wifi connection on my campus. This is what my instructor wishes for us to do:

1. select Applications/Accessories/Terminal on the Ubuntu desktop
    2. type ls /usr/include/GL if glut.h gl.h etc are there, great if not, if you are root (prompt #)type apt-get install libglut3-dev if asked, answer yes if you are a user login, type sudo apt-get install libglut3-dev
    3. I then copied program1.c to the desktop IF needed you can e-mail files to yourself and use Ubuntu web browser to retrieve
    4. cd desktop
    5. gcc -lglut -lGLU program1.c note l is a lower-case L, which means library in UNIX
    .6. /a.out to execute

I complete step 2, in which returns:

ls: cannot access /usr/include/GL: No such file or directory

so from here I do the apt-get and try to install it but returns me with this:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libglut3-dev

Does this have to do with my connection or is there something I need to be doing on my system for it to find the package and install it. I'm really new to ubuntu and could use some help just getting started.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu 11.10 glut install not working

Hi and welcome to the forums. I am glad you took my advice. The fact that you are using Ubuntu is immaterial. This is a Linux question and I think that it is very bad that the so-called professional and enthusiastic programmers on Stackoverflow passed you over to Askubuntu.

So, we have worked out that you do not have Glut installed on your system. I think that the other problem is that the Glut libraries like libglut3-dev are not in the Ubuntu repositories. So, where can you get them from? And I am trying to find the answer to that.

Perhaps someone else will know for sure.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for the welcome, and I'll try looking for the repositories but from what my instructor stated, i don't get why it would be a problem. I almost wonder if it is because I am running it on a netbook, but that's just a guess.

Beans
    Distro

Hi again. I found this link

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...&Number=285994

Note the first post. You could try running that command again but instead of libglut3-dev try sudo apt-get freeglut3-dev. This library I know is in the Ubuntu repositories.

Also if you search in your web browser for linux glut tutorial you will find at least two sites that have a downloadable PDF tutorial for Glut which you may find useful to have. One tutorial says this:

Precompiled binaries available in most GNU/Linux distributions, for
    example on debian “apt-get install freeglut3-dev”, suffices to install it.
    By the way Ubuntu is based upon Debian.

Regards.

P.S. If your tutor wonders about freeglut instead of glut you can direct him to this page:

http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 17th, 2012 at 03:50 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans

Thank you so much, works nicely and I will definitely be looking into those tutorials. Thanks again for your help.

Beans

hey there, i am facing a similar problem as stated above. I have tried both your suggestions but i am still facing this error message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Hoping you have a solution.....

Awaiting your reply.

Beans
    Distro

Have you accepted the advice from the error message to run?

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    What messages do you get? What were you trying to do?

Regards.

Beans

I was trying to install glut.

Thank you very much for your response. I figured it out!