Thread: what is the term for whatever i can use for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

what is the term for whatever i can use for this?

I need my subwoofer with an aux out be able to go to my xbox and my computer... right now i have it plugged into a thing that was red and white cords, and i use that with my VGA xbox adapter... but i need my comp and xbox to be hooked up to it at the same time. What can i use to do that..?
    Hi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: what is the term for whatever i can use for this?

An RCA switch box. The red and white cables are called RCA cables.

Edit: Or just an RCA splitter, for that matter, if you're just sending two sets of signals to the same speakers.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; January 17th, 2012 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    An RCA switch box. The red and white cables are called RCA cables.

Edit: Or just an RCA splitter, for that matter, if you're just sending two sets of signals to the same speakers.
    my speakers out cable is an auxiliary. i use an aux to r/w rca converter thing for my xbox's vga adapter.

its a subwoofer + 2 speaker sysmtem thats connected with that one auxiliary out
    Hi

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Aflack View Post
    my speakers out cable is an auxiliary. i use an aux to r/w rca converter thing for my xbox's vga adapter.

its a subwoofer + 2 speaker sysmtem thats connected with that one auxiliary out
    Auxiliary cables are the same thing as RCA cables. You're probably talking about an 1/8th inch plug to RCA adapter.

What you could do, is get two adapters, like the one in the picture below, plug one into the red jack on your speaker, and one into the white jack. Then you'll have two inputs that you can run from the outputs on your computer, and Xbox.

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

IF you have the speakers connected to both you Xbox and your computer, and they are both running at the same time, you may suffer from cross-talk ie: both systems outputting audio at the same time. Another problem you may have is that you could possibly break something on either the computer or the Xbox. Speaker systems are cheap enough, that you would be much better off buying another one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Using the full switchbox instead of Y cables would prevent that issue, though. It just adds the extra step of flipping the switch when switching between devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    IF you have the speakers connected to both you Xbox and your computer, and they are both running at the same time, you may suffer from cross-talk ie: both systems outputting audio at the same time. Another problem you may have is that you could possibly break something on either the computer or the Xbox. Speaker systems are cheap enough, that you would be much better off buying another one.
    yes but my xbox and comp are in my room. i dont want to have any more wires than i already do thanks everyone ill just buy those.
    Hi

Beans
    Hidden!

you shouldn't use a splitter cable, although it may work. splitter cables are used to drive two outputs using one input (like a headphone splitter or something), not merge two inputs into one speaker system. the xbox is fairly resiliant, but the current from its audio output could feed into your computer's soundcard if you just use splitters - and your pc might not be prepared for input current on its output socket.

the correct approach is to use a mixer or switch. i have my xbox and pc plugged into a mixer i made (actually, a passive summer, since it has no volume control). both can output to the speakers at the same time. ive been using it for about 3 years. it isn't very complicated. i just followed guides like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Alto...-Stereo-Mixer/

although i used 4k7 resistors i think. some people suggest 100k, others 2k2, and others 100 ohm. its just there to stop current going into the other output.

a headphone splitter that accepts a 2nd input would have this circuit in place, as would a simple stereo mixer

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

True, folks. I wouldn't be too concerned with the speakers, but I didn't think about driving output into the other outputs. a switch box is the way to go.

It's kind of overkill, but I once had an rf modulator that also had aux outputs, and it was set up to automatically switch based on the order you plugged the devices in. When a priority device is turned on, it automatically switches to that output. I wonder if they make automatic aux switch boxes like that.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; January 17th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss