Thread: Vicious cycle as a software developer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Vicious cycle as a software developer?

So I'm currently pursuing a B.S. in Software Engineering and I've read some startling things from software developers. From what I understand, entering the field of software development isn't hard but keeping the job is the issue. Apparently, companies like to hire the young ones and lay off the old ones, and after some time of unemployment, older developers can't find jobs. From what I read, the only way to survive is work hard to keep up with the newest standards, get promoted to a management position (software architect, engineer, etc.) or start your own company and make your own product. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I'm talking about in the U.S. by the way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Vicious cycle as a software developer?

I live and work in Canada as a Software Developer, and I would say that this is not the case for most companies. My company actively looks for experience developers... we have developers he well into their 50s. We also hire new and young developers, usually after they finish their co-op terms here.

I would say if you are a competent developer your age is irrelevant. The only time it may become an issue when someone comes in asking for way too much money because they have 20 years of experience.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's good news! I plan to start a similar degree later this year, and it's always good to keep the jobs you get =P.
    These days, my computers change so much, all I can say for sure here is ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

a lot of the same people who say things like that say that "all the programming jobs are in india, study something else"
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well that's really good to hear. So I can basically take all that with a grain of salt?