Thread: Windows 98 games in Ubuntu?

Beans

Question Windows 98 games in Ubuntu?

Is it possible to set Wine so I can play games that are made for Windows 95/98/00?

Beans

Re: Windows 98 games in Ubuntu?

I don't know the technical answer but if you can run Half Life 1, please let me know!

Beans

I will get a copy of it and let you know!

Beans

Absolutely. If you look on getdeb.net you can find a utility called Wibom (Wine Bottle Management) that will allow you to keep separate bottles for different games and installations, should they be necessary.

If you go under winecfg (Or the menu entry for Wine's Configuration Editor) you can very easily change the OS Wine will spoof, but most Windows 98 games shouldn't need too much modification to these settings. The only problems you may encounter is stuff with DLL files. Figuring out which should be native (Wine's version) and which should be builtin (Provided by Windows or some Windows application) can be a tedious chore.
    I was around when Ubuntu was brown!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also have a look at PlayOnLinux (its in the the repositories). Its an easy-to-use front-end to wine that manages wine bottles and wine versions and has pre-made installation scripts for many games.

http://appdb.winehq.org/ is a good resource for installing games/apps in wine. Search for the game you are looking to install and you'll get ratings and solutions to common problems.