Thread: It used to work... honest...

Beans

It used to work... honest...

Hi all.

I have a question.
    18 months ago my ancient desktop ran Ubuntu 9.10 perfectly, including streaming video from the BBC iPlayer, when I replaced it and gave it to an XP user. Today (after much persuasion) I installed and updated Mint 10 which is based on Ubuntu 11.04. Streaming from the BBC was ok until I hit full screen, then it was terribly choppy. (Works fine in XP, dammit.)
    Same ancient Abit Siluro MX400 agp card. Same driver (nvidia 96).

Why the difference? Usually I would just dismiss the graphics card - but I've seen this one work before!
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; January 25th, 2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: It used to work... honest...

Hi there! welcome to the forums!

The probelem here is that "choppyness" can be cuased by so many things - the stream, other programs/tabs running, codecs, as well as the obvious display driver.

If you can rule out any software conflicts - probably best to restart and only open Iplayer - then have a look down the driver route?

I was a bit confused by which version of mint you are using? version 10, "Julia" is based on ubuntu 10.10, "maverick Meerkat".

It's Mint 11, "Katya" that's based on 11.04 "Natty Narwhal". (Whilst Ubuntu switched to Unity in 11.04, Mint stayed with gnome2 default)

If you've just installed and are setting up on 10, maybe consider an upgrade to 11? it was a very stable disrtro, I only suggest it as support for mint 10 will end in April, so you'll have to upgrade then anyway, and it may fix the problem?

All the best

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey , have you installed your display drivers properly ?check them once .

EDIT: Welcome To Forums!
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Thanks guys.

Sorry, my mix up, was Mint 10. To match his wife's laptop...
    All good advice, thanks, I'll have another look. I wonder if the iPlayer has moved on since 2010?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

A GeForce 2 card is pretty old, and I haven't used it being in the US, but I do know that the BBC iPlayer has been updated a few times I've seen posted as they've introduced more HD content, so it's possible it isn't enough anymore. That it still works on XP leads me to believe that there may still be hardware acceleration that's compatible with the XP legacy driver, but not with the legacy (nvidia-96) driver. I'm assuming it's an older CPU as well, and probably 512MB of RAM or less? It's probably not a strong enough CPU to make up for no video acceleration either.

The name escapes me at the moment, but there is a flash fix add-on for Firefox that makes sure you are running the latest version and that it's configured properly. You could search for it here on the forums.
    Last edited by xyzzyman; January 25th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    The name escapes me at the moment, but there is a flash fix add-on for Firefox that makes sure you are running the latest version and that it's configured properly.
    It's called Flash Aid.