Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpimp View Post
    I love Linux, using it and what it stands for, however for my business needs, i will only move back to Linux when important functionality, such as synching a smart phone or BB works out of the box.

It is seemingly small things like this that is keeping Linux from the mainstream. When Linux users no longer need to (but can ) use a terminal it will be mainstream.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated that it is not there yet..

LP
    Funny you should say that, since synching most smart phones (including BlackBerries) in Windows doesn't work "out of the box" either.

Unless you include "running the hardware manufacturer's CD to install custom software" as working "out of the box"?

That's not the fault of Linux; it is the fault of the hardware manufacturers. Your rant is better directed toward RIM, in this case.
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by regine's View Post
    Hi
    anybody with a 8310 here ?
    [ snip ]
    I use an 8310. Have a related question or issue we can help with?
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chipbennett View Post
    Funny you should say that, since synching most smart phones (including BlackBerries) in Windows doesn't work "out of the box" either.

Unless you include "running the hardware manufacturer's CD to install custom software" as working "out of the box"?

That's not the fault of Linux; it is the fault of the hardware manufacturers. Your rant is better directed toward RIM, in this case.
    Fair point indeed.

However blame aside, the bottom line is if i want to use the software, i need a Windows machine - and i do not like that.

lp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpimp View Post
    Fair point indeed.

However blame aside, the bottom line is if i want to use the software, i need a Windows machine - and i do not like that.

lp
    Agreed. Thankfully the market share of linux is growing. Although it may still take years, but hardware makers are beginning to pay attention and device support is better than ever before. The community is also solving these problems faster than in the past... All I can say is please keep using linux whenever the support is there, and when RIM and the other hardware manufactures shun desktop Linux, email them as I do. Together we'll bring about change.

My email sent to bbsuggestions@rim.com

To whom it may concern,

I was disappointed upon searching the Blackberry website that no support for Blackberry desktop software is available for Linux-based operating systems. There are third party projects , however RIM supported development could quickly improve support on Linux desktops and please many of you customers. As an excellent alternative to the Windows Mobile platform, the Linux community would love to embrace Blackberry devices if even limited support could be offered for Linux.
    Thanks,

Joseph Peach, recent Blackberry owner
    Ubuntu Linux 8.04
    Last edited by jetpeach; August 7th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.
    My Blog.

Beans

Great tutorial !!!. I am now syncing with Google Calendar, Todo, Memo using my Black Berry 8820 and Evolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I tried the destop manager in an XP Virtual machine and although xp recognized the rim smartphone, desktop manager wouldn't detect the blackberry. wine?
    I just stumbled across this post while treading into sorting blackberry-to-Linux sync out. I initially tried using VirtualBox and I think I had the same problem you were having using the usb cable. Somebody on the VirtualBox forums recommended I try a bluetooth dongle, as Desktop Manager would be able to pick up the Blackberry through that. This worked PERFEctly.... for a while. Then for some reason Windows update decided to go off searching for new Bluetooth drivers for my USB-BLuetooth dongle.... and found new ones... except in order to make this work I *HAD* to use the original Microsoft Bluetooth driver (not any of the manufacturer supplied ones... this is a known issue with Blackberries)... well, Windows update managed to find itself some manufacturer drivers, and now I can't figure out how to revert these drivers to get it to work again (hence, I'm back here going the Linux sync route).... Anyway, if you're curious, the link at VirtualBox is:
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...?p=39856#39856

Damn I wish this would just work... I'm gonna have a word with Lazaridis next time I see him... how many billions did the company make last year... CAM AN... throw us Linux folk a fricken bone!! Blackberry and Linux COULD have such a good relationship

Beans

ive got an 8130 and im trying to put some movies on it...is there anyway to do this? drag and dropping my music into the music folder worked great, but for some reason my movies never seem to play.

im a pretty big blackberry nub so maybe im missing something really simple, but if you can help me out, i would really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

rorshach I play movies on my 8310 blackberry all the time. I use WinFF to convert my movies into a format and resolution the blackberry can play. You can find the necessary WinFF preset for the blackberry at http://www.biggmatt.com/forums/index...71.0;attach=89

To install the preset just unzip and click on File->Inport Preset inside WinFF and direct it to where you unzipped the presets. BTW you can install WinFF using synaptic.

Beans

Does anyone know where Evolution stores google calendars locally? I'd like to sync my blackberry with my google calendar via evolution.

Thanks!

Beans

I recently wrote BB and asked about syncing. Below is my msg and their reply (read from bottom up). Seems some polite messages to the address given might be a good thing.

======================
    Hello ...,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

We would like you to know that your comments were most generous and insightful. We encourage our users to submit product enhancement suggestions. To complement this approach, Research In Motion has created a special mailing address that will allow our users to submit suggestions relating to BlackBerry development. In the future, you may submit suggestions to bbsuggestions@rim.com. We have forwarded this suggestion for you.

We would like to thank you again for being a valuable BlackBerry smartphone user. Have a nice day ...!

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:

------Original Message------
    To: help@rim.com
    Subject: linux storm

Dear RIM,

I just purchased a new 9530. Thanks for making something for Verizon
    users .... Nice device and should be great after RIM finishes tweaking the OS. Speaking of OS it would be really nice if you guys could come up with some software that would run in Linux. Being specific, on my wish-list (and many others) it would be nice to have packages (.DEB format) to sync with "Evolution"
    mail/calendar program.

Please forward this to the wish-granters department.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast