Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Unix_Slayer View Post
    Not to throw a wrench in this thread, but has anyone tried Blackberry Desktop Manager in Wine? I have a feeling that the bluedtooth won't work, but sync might to some extend. I would do it, but I don't want to be the guinea pig yet. I've got too many projects on my hands.
    I tried the destop manager in an XP Virtual machine and although xp recognized the rim smartphone, desktop manager wouldn't detect the blackberry. wine?
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I tried the destop manager in an XP Virtual machine and although xp recognized the rim smartphone, desktop manager wouldn't detect the blackberry. wine?
    Figures....
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Unix_Slayer View Post
    Figures....
    I know....I'm going to work on that though....but I have sync'd it in Kubuntu per Chip's instructions, but I've done a kernel upgrade and now I'm having problems but haven't gone back through the procedure yet...Chip?
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks Guys...

Chip, thanks for the direction on the barry-devel mailing list. I hadn't seen it, and have now taken a quick look. I'll try emailing the list when I get some more time to actually work on getting this thing working.

as far as compiling barry myself, that's probably beyond my abilities in linux at this point, unless I had a really basic tutorial... I guess I need to learn sometime though

I may give wine a try, I hadn't yet installed it since switching to Hardy...but I'm grabbing the packages now. I haven't used wine much in the past...I'm guessing I'd need a PIM also running in wine to sync with??

thanks again for the input...

MB

Edit: Can't get BB desktop software to install in wine...hmmmm...
    Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; June 6th, 2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: new info

Beans

I love Linux, using it and what it stands for, however for my business needs, i will only move back to Linux when important functionality, such as synching a smart phone or BB works out of the box.

It is seemingly small things like this that is keeping Linux from the mainstream. When Linux users no longer need to (but can ) use a terminal it will be mainstream.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated that it is not there yet..

LP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Its time for RIM to wake up, and put out Linux software, and drivers. This is ridiculous. The bluetooth doesn't even work in Vista, because RIM failed to release drivers for the BB Bluetooth.
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Hi
    anybody with a 8310 here ?
    me on ubuntu studio gnome hardy.
    me and artist and video girl
    a petite blonde
    will try out yahoo or kde pim

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There's got to be an easier, and simple solution to this. I have an 8320 Blackberry. I am working on taking the windows Blackberry desktop manager code apart, so I could port a version for linux we can all appreciate.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I know....I'm going to work on that though....but I have sync'd it in Kubuntu per Chip's instructions, but I've done a kernel upgrade and now I'm having problems but haven't gone back through the procedure yet...Chip?
    I'm not sure why a kernel update would impact the process.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with bcharge and needing to blacklist a process in the kernel (outside my area of expertise). Again, the best place to go for that question is barry-devel.
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiak Blaniak View Post
    Thanks Guys...

Chip, thanks for the direction on the barry-devel mailing list. I hadn't seen it, and have now taken a quick look. I'll try emailing the list when I get some more time to actually work on getting this thing working.

as far as compiling barry myself, that's probably beyond my abilities in linux at this point, unless I had a really basic tutorial... I guess I need to learn sometime though

I may give wine a try, I hadn't yet installed it since switching to Hardy...but I'm grabbing the packages now. I haven't used wine much in the past...I'm guessing I'd need a PIM also running in wine to sync with??

thanks again for the input...

MB

Edit: Can't get BB desktop software to install in wine...hmmmm...
    Reading through the barry-devel archives, they seem to be pretty good about helping people through the difficult parts such as compiling. I know some other people have had your same problem, so you might search the archives and see if you can find a workable solution.
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast