Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 179

Thread: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida (US)
    Beans
    240
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Unix_Slayer View Post
    Not to throw a wrench in this thread, but has anyone tried Blackberry Desktop Manager in Wine? I have a feeling that the bluedtooth won't work, but sync might to some extend. I would do it, but I don't want to be the guinea pig yet. I've got too many projects on my hands.
    I tried the destop manager in an XP Virtual machine and although xp recognized the rim smartphone, desktop manager wouldn't detect the blackberry. wine?
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    the BliZzard of OzZ!
    Beans
    432
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I tried the destop manager in an XP Virtual machine and although xp recognized the rim smartphone, desktop manager wouldn't detect the blackberry. wine?
    Figures....
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida (US)
    Beans
    240
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Unix_Slayer View Post
    Figures....
    I know....I'm going to work on that though....but I have sync'd it in Kubuntu per Chip's instructions, but I've done a kernel upgrade and now I'm having problems but haven't gone back through the procedure yet...Chip?
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Thanks Guys...

    Chip, thanks for the direction on the barry-devel mailing list. I hadn't seen it, and have now taken a quick look. I'll try emailing the list when I get some more time to actually work on getting this thing working.

    as far as compiling barry myself, that's probably beyond my abilities in linux at this point, unless I had a really basic tutorial... I guess I need to learn sometime though

    I may give wine a try, I hadn't yet installed it since switching to Hardy...but I'm grabbing the packages now. I haven't used wine much in the past...I'm guessing I'd need a PIM also running in wine to sync with??

    thanks again for the input...

    MB

    Edit: Can't get BB desktop software to install in wine...hmmmm...
    Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; June 6th, 2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: new info

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    43

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    I love Linux, using it and what it stands for, however for my business needs, i will only move back to Linux when important functionality, such as synching a smart phone or BB works out of the box.

    It is seemingly small things like this that is keeping Linux from the mainstream. When Linux users no longer need to (but can ) use a terminal it will be mainstream.

    Sorry for the rant, just frustrated that it is not there yet..

    LP

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    the BliZzard of OzZ!
    Beans
    432
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Its time for RIM to wake up, and put out Linux software, and drivers. This is ridiculous. The bluetooth doesn't even work in Vista, because RIM failed to release drivers for the BB Bluetooth.
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Smile Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Hi
    anybody with a 8310 here ?
    me on ubuntu studio gnome hardy.
    me and artist and video girl
    a petite blonde
    will try out yahoo or kde pim

  8. #128
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    the BliZzard of OzZ!
    Beans
    432
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    There's got to be an easier, and simple solution to this. I have an 8320 Blackberry. I am working on taking the windows Blackberry desktop manager code apart, so I could port a version for linux we can all appreciate.
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Beans
    32
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I know....I'm going to work on that though....but I have sync'd it in Kubuntu per Chip's instructions, but I've done a kernel upgrade and now I'm having problems but haven't gone back through the procedure yet...Chip?
    I'm not sure why a kernel update would impact the process.

    The only thing I can think of is an issue with bcharge and needing to blacklist a process in the kernel (outside my area of expertise). Again, the best place to go for that question is barry-devel.
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Beans
    32
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiak Blaniak View Post
    Thanks Guys...

    Chip, thanks for the direction on the barry-devel mailing list. I hadn't seen it, and have now taken a quick look. I'll try emailing the list when I get some more time to actually work on getting this thing working.

    as far as compiling barry myself, that's probably beyond my abilities in linux at this point, unless I had a really basic tutorial... I guess I need to learn sometime though

    I may give wine a try, I hadn't yet installed it since switching to Hardy...but I'm grabbing the packages now. I haven't used wine much in the past...I'm guessing I'd need a PIM also running in wine to sync with??

    thanks again for the input...

    MB

    Edit: Can't get BB desktop software to install in wine...hmmmm...
    Reading through the barry-devel archives, they seem to be pretty good about helping people through the difficult parts such as compiling. I know some other people have had your same problem, so you might search the archives and see if you can find a workable solution.
    Dell*buntu Inspiron 1420n, running Kubuntu Karmic. Un-tethered from MS Windows since October 2007.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •