Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very unique problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation A very unique problem...

Ubuntu 11.10
    Alright, so earlier today, I opened up the ol' Update Manager, and was informed I had broken packages, and that the manager could only perform a "Partial Upgrade". So, I ran it, and afterwards ran "sudo apt-get update" just to be safe.
    A few hours later, I opened Synaptic and repaired these broken packages with their broken dependencies and the like.
    <backstory>
    I was running gnome-shell, with a user theme, using Ubuntu Tweak and other shell extensions. To do so, I had set up several PPA's.
    I'm pretty sure these PPA's I set up may have led to my problem.
    </backstory>
    Then, suddenly after a reboot back into gnome-shell, I was shocked. I had lost my theme, and my background image.
    Now, I'm back in Unity after backing up my data and scratching my head. I can't change my background image, and my window's themes are all messed up.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/or43d0.jpg

As you can see, I'm using the "Radiance" theme, but the space beneath the title bar is black, with a black font. This problem carried over to my login screen, with the text in the upper right corner also going black-on-black.

To fix this, I've rm -f'd my ".metacity" and my ".gnome" folders and a few others to see if it would fix it, and no dice.
    I've also un-installed gnome-shell, and I'm really hoping to fix the problem in Unity first, then go back to shell.

Can anyone help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A very unique problem...

Please see this thread from yesterday:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1908388

"Unique", hehe, as if!

Regards.
    Last edited by Krytarik; January 15th, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So...is patience going to be the remedy here?
    Or am I going to want to force the version of libglib2.0-0[ricotz] down?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KarlEinstein13 View Post
    So...is patience going to be the remedy here?
    Or am I going to want to force the version of libglib2.0-0[ricotz] down?
    Well, I myself would force down the versions of both (!) packages ("libglib2.0-0" and "libglib2.0-bin"), that is, download and install the previous, working versions manually, and then lock them, and try again when all the packages are updated again.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your response, but I have one last question:

I have (in Synaptic) selected to force both packages down (libglib-2.0-0, and libglib2.0-bin) to their previous versions: 2.30.0-0ubuntu4.

Then, before I apply any package changes, a warning comes up about what packages will be removed/installed/changed, and essentially all of my applications will be removed (429), and replaced with 55 other ones.

That is a super scary warning to me. Any other assistance/thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

I have (in Synaptic) selected to force both packages down (libglib-2.0-0, and libglib2.0-bin) to their previous versions: 2.30.0-0ubuntu4.

Then, before I apply any package changes, a warning comes up about what packages will be removed/installed/changed, and essentially all of my applications will be removed (429), and replaced with 55 other ones.
    That's the version in the official repos, and that's not the way I described, and how we solved this in the other thread. So please read my instructions 'a bit' more carefully! :
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Well, I myself would force down the versions of both (!) packages ("libglib2.0-0" and "libglib2.0-bin"), that is, download and install the previous, working versions manually, and then lock them, and try again when all the packages are updated again.
    For more clarity and for easier future reference, this is where you can download the previous, working versions of those packages, as linked to in the other thread, too:

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archi...+build/3082806

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry that I haven't followed your instructions very well, you are still being very helpful, and thank you for your patience. I haven't much experience with Synaptic.

Now, I have downloaded:
    "libglib2.0-0-dbg_2.31.80ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_amd64.deb", from (https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archi...+build/3082806) and when I open it from my Downloads folder, the Software Centre opens up, and I click install, but nothing seems to happen.

I've also tried "sudo apt-get install '/home/parker/Downloads/libglib2.0-0-dbg_2.31.8-0ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_amd64.deb'", but I get this error:

"E: Unable to locate package /home/parker/Downloads"

In the other thread, after the other user installed the previous package and locked it, their problem was fixed. I think I'm still having issues during installation.

Beans
    Distro

First, one thing I didn't think of till now: If you are running the i386 version of Oneiric, you need to install the packages from here!:

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing/+build/3082807

Second, presuming you didn't install the "dbg" and "dev" packages beforehand, the only packages you need to install are:

• libglib2.0-0_2.31.8-0ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_<ARCH>.deb
    • libglib2.0-bin_2.31.8-0ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_<ARCH>.deb

Then, to install them you could of course try to use the Software Center, but I'd rather suggest GDebi for that, or the command line method:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i PACKAGE1 PACKAGE2
    Note: If you are using GDebi or the Software Center for that, you need to install the "bin" package first, as a matter of dependency!

After that, lock their versions with Synaptic.
    Last edited by Krytarik; January 15th, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add note

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for still trying to help me with this. And yes, I am using the i386 version, thank you for catching that.

Okay, so I open GDebi and select the package:

"libglib2.0-bin_2.31.8-0ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_i386.deb"

But I get an error stating that a newer version is already installed. This is the right package, correct? I need the bin version for dependencies, first, right?

Did I miss a step?

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so I open GDebi and select the package:

"libglib2.0-bin_2.31.8-0ubuntu1~11.10~ricotz0_i386.deb"

But I get an error stating that a newer version is already installed. This is the right package, correct? I need the bin version for dependencies, first, right?
    Well, that's what this is all about, downgrade. So just go ahead with installing that package. And yeah, that's the right package, and right order.
    Last edited by Krytarik; January 16th, 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: wording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast