Thread: Xubuntu running slowly, specifically for Chrome

Beans

Xubuntu running slowly, specifically for Chrome

I've run Ubuntu (9.04-11.04) on an Acer Aspire One netbook, but recently I've gotten a SR1620NX Compaq desktop tower. I installed Xubuntu on it and have noticed that most programs (but significantly Chrome) are extremely slow. It took 3 minutes to load Google Chrome and it usually takes about 1 minute to open a new tab.
    Should I expect it to be this slow, or is there an issue with the RAM/Hard drive?
    I installed htop [sudo apt-get install htop] and it says that (with only Chrome running) I was using 208 of 432 RAM. Is that normal? I'm not sure what to expect, since I've never bothered to check the RAM usage while running Chrome on my Acer.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Full specs for the SR1620NX are here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-...-31589079.html ]

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Xubuntu running slowly, specifically for Chrome

I suggest Lubuntu or even better, Lucid Puppy 5.28.
    Lubuntu does not need brain re-tooling , but Puppy does.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

well you could edit the start-up applications so less start up..... also you could use bleachbit to clean the temp data, and other considered by me useless info.... to get bleachbit open terminal and type
    sudo apt-get install beachbit
    then type your password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi the newer ubuntu's with unity is heavier on resources I recommend logging into classic no effects or install Lubuntu it will take a lot less resources.

The amount of ram used for chrome is about right this is what it takes to run firefox with just a couple of windows open.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi the newer ubuntu's with unity is heavier on resources I recommend logging into classic no effects or install Lubuntu it will take a lot less resources.

The amount of ram used for chrome is about right this is what it takes to run firefox with just a couple of windows open.
    Thanks
    Okay. I'll look at Lubuntu. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, your welcome! would you please go to the top of the page and mark this thread solved by clicking on thread tools.
    Thank you