Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Audio on Asus P5N-E-SLI

Beans

Re: No Audio on Asus P5N-E-SLI

I still to this day have not figured out this issue. Maybe resurfacing it in the forum may help to get more ideas on how to get this working. Still the samething, as soon as I activate the Nvidia Drivers by way of the additional drivers search and reboot, no sound at all. Except for the front panel headphone jack, it works. The rear panel analog is a complete no go. It seems you have to be quite the Linux Driver Guru to work through issues such as this. Unfortunately I am not one of those, I would love to be, but starting my Linux knowledge base so late in life doesn't help. I am not a coder or programmer either so there is a large learning curve for me to succeed in the Linux Realm. Luckily all my other machines have worked flawlessly, it is just this one desktop that is the problem. It works fine as long as I don't install that Proprietary Driver. Anyway I am open to more ideas to learn and to try and fix this. Thanks as always.

Beans

For the love of all things good, I need to fix this issue. It is driving me nuts! I noticed that there were some new choices for Nvidia Drivers in the additional drivers GUI, so I selected the experimental 310 version. Still the same issue, no sound! I need to get this working and I know it is related to a driver configuration somewhere. I don't know where to look anymore. I am going to paste in my Alsa Config File and let you all inspect it. I added the option snd-hda-intel model=auto but of course this did nothing to solve the problem. Again I have a Asus P5NE-SLI MB with the MCP51 chipset. It appears that this chipset is extremely problematic. I have googled and googled to no avail. Please for the love of my sanity, help if possible, this is the only Linux build that has ever failed of the 5-6 I have done. Here is the Conf file---
    # autoloader aliases
    install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
    install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
    install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
    install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
    install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
    install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
    install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
    install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
    install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
    #
    # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
    install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
    #
    install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
    # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
    install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
    install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
    # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
    options bt87x index=-2
    options cx88_alsa index=-2
    options saa7134-alsa index=-2
    options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
    options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
    options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
    options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
    # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
    options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
    # Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto

EDIT: Would moving to Ubuntu 12.10 yield any better results, Thanks.

Beans

I have read in another post in a different forum that another person was having this same issue with a 8600GT Nvidia card as well. It seems to be the Nvidia Drivers. He said that using something other than DVI-->HDMI or HDMI fixes the issue. Also he said as soon as he would unplug the DVI-->HDMI from his monitor the sound would begin working. Seems that its an EDID and Nvidia Driver issue. Is there any way I can force my system upon boot to send the audio to the analog back panel connector instead of Nvidia attempting to send it digitally over DVI-->HDMI? I would assume this could be done through some configuration file but I am not experienced enough to know which one or how to do it. So if someone could give me some advice or point me to the correct area to find the data, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123