Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Expert advice how to proceed, newbie level user.

Beans

Need Expert advice how to proceed, newbie level user.

Kubuntu 11.04
    Kde 4.6.5
    pcHDTV HD-5500 tuner card
    EVGA GTX460 1024mb gddr5 GPU

After a fresh Install of Kubuntu 11.04, I attempted to compile the stable version of MythTV from the source code. I am lost and confused and need advice whether to continue to compile, or to remove my incomplete attempt to compile, or to re-install the OS and start fresh once more. If removal is recommended, how do I do this safely?

I want to continue to retain a KDE desktop with MythTV installed. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Need Expert advice how to proceed, newbie level user.

add myth tv to your software sources
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.24
    Update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mythtv
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans

Considering all the information you've provided I'd conclude something may be wrong.

Alright, you are not happy with MythTV provided in repos. Why?
    Are you trying to use analog or digital part of your card?
    What version of MythTV are you trying to build?
    Where you get stuck with compilation?

Beans

Are Kubuntu and Ubuntu the same when installing MythTV? Are superuser privileges required?

I selected Alt+F2>: kdesudo mythtv-setup, sudo mythtv-setup, kdesudo mythtv, and sudo mythtv; none of these options opened the configuration page. I opened mythtv from the GUI to get the following:

"MythTV could not connect to the database. Please verify your database settings below."

Is 'localhost' the correct entry for "*Hostname"?
    Is 'mythconverg' the correct entry for "Database name:"?
    Is 'mythtv' the correct entry for "User:"?
    Is 'mythtv' the correct entry for "Password:"?

If I leave Database Configuration 2/2 as is, should the configuration be complete? Thank you.

With all the entries as above, when I click on 'Finish', I get a small window that says: Cannot and OK. When I click on OK it returns to the Database Configuration 1/2 page.

Beans

You can run setup as user, mythtv-setup. After setting it up you need to start mythbackend as root, then you can run mythfrontend as user.

Beans

My first attempt to configure was as user, but the settings were not accepted. I was returned to 1/1 with the initial preset configuration. That was the reason for the individual questions in the previous post. Then when I tried sudo or kdesudo, they were not accepted either.

There are only 2 screens to configure with mythtv-setup. When I finished 2/2 and clicked on 'finish', instead of presenting new options, it reverted to 1/1.

My concern is that I am not entering the proper name where 'localhost' is pre-entered; my IP address is: 192.168.0.111, should I have used that instead of 'localhost'? as Hostname and mythtv as the password, or is there a computer generated password that should be used instead of mythtv, or do I just accept all the default entries and click on 'finish'? And if that is the case, what is the purpose of me setting the configuration at all? Sorry for the confusion.

You said, "You can run setup as user, mythtv-setup." When I open the panel entry, Kmenu>Applications>System>mythtv-setup ('MythTV Backend Setup' is grayed out and below that entry) that is where I have been starting each attempt at configuration, which results in a loop.

Next, you said, "After setting it up you need to start mythbackend as root"; is that an Alt+F2>'sudo(or kdesudo) mythbackend' entry, which then opens mythbackend configuration in 'root'?

Next you said, "then you can run mythfrontend as user.". Do I type 'mythfrontend' in the command line to open further options for configuration?

I am trying to confirm that I understand your terminology. Yes, I am confused.

Thanks for any clarification.

And finally, to clarify a question I have never been sure I understood, "is the shortcut 'Alt+F2' the same as opening a command line?" I want to be sure I am not mixing two different procedures.

I hope you will continue to be patient with me. Thanks if you do?

Beans

Sorry, I do not use GUI for administrative tasks. All commands I mentioned were to be run from terminal.
    Let's start from beginning. If you run mythtv-setup from terminal as user, what do you get.

BTW, you did not answer my question about analog/digital. FYI the chances are slim analog part of this particular card would work with MythTV 0.24.

Beans

That was just great; I ran 'sudo mythtv-setup, which opened a group of configurable windows. I tried to fill them out as well as I could figure them out.

In response to your question re: analog, before, when I had mythtv working for a while, I included both analog and digital tuners. The TVtuner Card I have has both. This time, when I attempted to designate both analog and digital, the name of my card was not among the choices, however I did find a digital card that showed my card when I clicked on it, so I hope I have my card identified, both digital and analog.

I still have not gotten to a part of configuration where channels are sought, etc.

I typed in sudo mythfrontend and a GUI opened with a window which said: Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? I clicked OK and new configurable choices appeared. What do I do about "Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?"

My lack of understanding is causing me to be confused again. Also, the mouse is not visible on the configurable screen. Why is this? and what can I do to locate the items? There is not even an underscored letter to engage using the Alt key. I tried Alt+O to see if it would click the OK, it didn't work.

It does look like I am getting closer to finish again, though. Can you help me get back on track? Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    That was just great; I ran 'sudo mythtv-setup, which opened a group of configurable windows.
    why? you should NOT run it as sudo. Simply run it and the script will ask for a pssword to do the appropriate seteps that require root user privileges
    I tried to fill them out as well as I could figure them out.

In response to your question re: analog, before, when I had mythtv working for a while, I included both analog and digital tuners. The TVtuner Card I have has both. This time, when I attempted to designate both analog and digital, the name of my card was not among the choices, however I did find a digital card that showed my card when I clicked on it, so I hope I have my card identified, both digital and analog.

I still have not gotten to a part of configuration where channels are sought, etc.

I typed in sudo mythfrontend
    again NO. mythfrontend should not be run via sudo, or by root at all. It should be run a as your ordinary user
    and a GUI opened with a window which said: Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? I clicked OK and new configurable choices appeared. What do I do about "Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?? Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup correct? Could not connect to the master backend server. It is running?"

My lack of understanding is causing me to be confused again. Also, the mouse is not visible on the configurable screen. Why is this? and what can I do to locate the items? There is not even an underscored letter to engage using the Alt key. I tried Alt+O to see if it would click the OK, it didn't work.

It does look like I am getting closer to finish again, though. Can you help me get back on track? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nickrout; January 15th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntumatic View Post
    You can run setup as user, mythtv-setup. After setting it up you need to start mythbackend as root, then you can run mythfrontend as user.
    I thought this information was clear enough, run setup as user, start backend as root, run frontend as user.
    What did I miss? Why I wasn't understood?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast