Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

What a great resource this thread is!

I found the "The Linux Cookbook: Tips and Techniques for Everyday Use" to be particularly helpful. Following the flow of the chapters step by step and trying the "recipes" along the way really helped.

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html
    Miseris Succurrere Disco Registered Ubuntu User #11205 Registered Linux User #440357

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    click on the post number, that will open the post alone. Or write it out like below.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=19
    Ok, all updated and linked.

Quote Originally Posted by gnu/mirow View Post
    ...I often find myself re-reading bits 3 years on!
    18 years of IT experience and I still refer to my hard copy too.
    The data in them might be dated, but the techniques are usually still valid.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846

As a Ubuntu newbie I have searched many sources for assistance. Finally very pleased with the book: UBUNTU FOR NON-GEEKS, A PAIN-FREE.GET-THINGS-DONE-GUIDE. 4TH EDITION. Available from Amazon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpalot View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846

As a Ubuntu newbie I have searched many sources for assistance. Finally very pleased with the book: UBUNTU FOR NON-GEEKS, A PAIN-FREE.GET-THINGS-DONE-GUIDE. 4TH EDITION. Available from Amazon.
    Thanks for the contribution... however I think we'll keep this thread focused primarily on the command line. Maybe it'd be a good idea to start a second for general Linux learning?

Beans

Although Linux Command is listed here, the is a PDF called 'The Linux Command Line' by William E Shotts Junior. It's very good... but is 500+ pages long.

There is also a program called CLI Companion that may help too.
    "Zero zero zero zero zero zero one! Zero zero zero zero zero one one! Zero zero zero zero one one one! Zero zero zero one one one one! Oh, oh oh one, oh oh one! Come on sucker, now lick my battery!"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Local Documentation Bundled With Ubuntu

/usr/share/doc/bash/README.commands.gz is a compressed text file. It contains a short introduction to the Linux command line intended for new users. It can be viewed from the archive manager, or from the command line.

Code:
    pager /usr/share/doc/bash/README.commands.gz
    man 1 intro is introduction to user commands.

Code:
    man 1 intro
    man 7 hier describes the file system hierarchy.

Code:
    man 7 hier
    man 7 glob explains globbing.

Code:
    man 7 glob
    man 7 regex explains POSIX.2 regular expressions.

Code:
    man 7 regex
    When reading manpages in the terminal, type the Q key to quit reading.

Tutorials Within the *buntu Community

Using the Command Line - Documentation for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Using The Terminal - Community Ubuntu Documentation

CommandlineHowto - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Commands at Konsole: Beginners is a tutorial by KFN's Qqmike.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh cortman! I cannot believe that you are the first to do this. What a tremendous idea.

As a fairly new Linux user, even though I've been toying with it since 2004 (Knoppix LiveCD), and using it every day as my main O.S. since early 2010 (a phantasmagorical virus attack hosed my Windows XP), I absolutely love the idea of the command line interface. So simple, fast and effective ... IF ... you know what you're doing, which I DON'T, so I mostly keep to the Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager.

I've read most of the thread as fast as I could, so I might have missed something, but are you going to try to keep your list of links up to date in the first post? That would be such a great idea, in my opinion, since so many of the most useful threads (and therefore popular) get drowned in a sea of comments ... some few of which include great information, but who reads a whole thread when it's fifty screens long, or more?! Most users on a quest for something probably read the first screen or two, and then the last one or two screens of most recent posts.
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kixtosh View Post
    Oh cortman! I cannot believe that you are the first to do this. What a tremendous idea.

As a fairly new Linux user, even though I've been toying with it since 2004 (Knoppix LiveCD), and using it every day as my main O.S. since early 2010 (a phantasmagorical virus attack hosed my Windows XP), I absolutely love the idea of the command line interface. So simple, fast and effective ... IF ... you know what you're doing, which I DON'T, so I mostly keep to the Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager.

I've read most of the thread as fast as I could, so I might have missed something, but are you going to try to keep your list of links up to date in the first post? That would be such a great idea, in my opinion, since so many of the most useful threads (and therefore popular) get drowned in a sea of comments ... some few of which include great information, but who reads a whole thread when it's fifty screens long, or more?! Most users on a quest for something probably read the first screen or two, and then the last one or two screens of most recent posts.
    Thanks for the kind comments, Kixtosh.
    I'm a big fan of the CLI myself. Its sheer power is rather addicting.
    I'm keeping the master index updated daily, and if it ever happens that I can't any more, I'll give someone else control over it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This thread is really useful, Thanks!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast