Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating or upgrading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Updating or upgrading

Beta is due for 17 of February.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule
    But you are going to see many freezes and crashes. Better to wait until the final release and a little more. In any case the difference between 11.10 and 12.04 is minimal.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I was wondering about updating to the alpha for testing reasons, plus I want to make some scripts for myself using python and bash..... I want these scripts to stay up-to-date with as little updating of them as possible.... The best chance for me to do this is to adopt 12.04 asap because it is LTS.....

So I was wondering, when I get the alpha, how should I run it????
    And when the beta comes how should I run that????

I dont need to know how to install, I have run Linux in nearly every way possible....Just need you recommendations and a link for the download

Since this thread is about updating... I believe this to be the correct place to ask the question....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The best way for testing is through a virtual machine. Install Virtualbox e.g. and then you can inside this install the 12.04
    Virtualbox you can find it in Ubuntu Software Center.
    12.04 alpha is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by buckyaustin View Post
    plus I want to make some scripts for myself using python and bash..... I want these scripts to stay up-to-date with as little updating of them as possible.... The best chance for me to do this is to adopt 12.04 asap because it is LTS.....
    Actually, the best way to do something like that is to make sure your current system has the most up to date versions of Python and BASH. The OS being in a constant state of flux will almost certainly have more of a negative effect on your scripts than waiting for the stable release to come out. Also, your scripts are not going to have to have huge changes made to them. If they do, you can almost be assured the new features you have to script for won't be working right anyway. Unless you are absolutely gung-ho about constantly fixing your system and reporting bugs, I would wait until the stable in April.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok thank you, I will use virtual box... I don't really like the speed hit i get... but yea that is the safest way i suppose..... I will also update bash and python.... and see which is the best for me...

Also I dont mind bug reporting.... I have the time.... After all I'm only a student... Not a full programmer yet...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12