Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It seems Ubuntu cannot support computers wth 3TB hard drives?

Beans

It seems Ubuntu cannot support computers wth 3TB hard drives?

I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 (dual boot) and am choosing the custom option so I can create separate partitions but I get an error every single time when I hit "add".

"Starting sector number, 4,295,469,056 exceeds the msdos-partition-table-imposed maximum of 4,294,967,295"

I have a 1.5TB drive as my main HDD, and a 3TB HDD as the slave. (I think the error is coming from the fact that I have a 3TB HDD)

It will let me add the /boot partition @ 258mb but will not let me add any others (SWAP, /home, /root etc).

What does this error mean? Changing the size of the proposed partition doesn't change anything, nothing works. I am trying to install it on my 1.5TB master drive (where my current win7 OS lives). If I try selecting the "free space" on my 3TB drive it won't even let me hit the "add" button.

I have been trying for 2 days to install Ubuntu but can not get it to work. Please help

System:

i7 3.4ghz
    10GB RAM
    1.5TB HDD
    3TB HDD
    Win7 SP1
    Last edited by Samizdat_Press; January 14th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: It seems Ubuntu cannot support computers wth 3TB hard drives?

Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Welcome to the forum, Samizdat_Press.

You need to defrag, in windows, then shrink the partition, in windows, then try the install, choosing the right drive, and "use free space".

http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...dows-dual.html

EDIT:

carl4926, seems to have a better cure.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Thank you for the reply Carl. I have already done that though .

"If you need a partition larger than 2TB, you will need to repartition the drive using the GUID Partition Table (GPT) format for the disk."

I have done this already. My 3TB drive isn't recognized by Win7 so it shows as one 2TB drive and the remaining ~700GB shows up as a separate partition (in windows it shows up as a third drive) So it stops at 2 gigs and then the remainder shows up as a second separate HDD. GUID format.

"If you are not trying to boot off this new disk, you are unlikely to run into any compatibility problems"

I am not trying to boot off the larger disc. I am trying to install it on the 1.5 TB one.

The problem is that it combines it all together and I can't seem to make it differentiate between the two drives so that this conflict can be resolved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Samizdat_Press.

You need to defrag, in windows, then shrink the partition, in windows, then try the install, choosing the right drive, and "use free space".

http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...dows-dual.html

EDIT:

carl4926, seems to have a better cure.
    Thank you hansdown for the advice and also the warm welcome. I will defrag now and then try the process again. Will report back once completed in a few minutes.

Edit: I am assuming I should shrink the main partition on my 1.5TB HDD (the one where my program files is located) and make it large enough for my Ubuntu installation right?
    Last edited by Samizdat_Press; January 14th, 2012 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Download to liveCD from repository gdisk and run this (if not sdb change to whatever drive it is):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdisk
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdb
    Did you create any partitions before using gparted?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Samizdat_Press View Post
    Edit: I am assuming I should shrink the main partition on my 1.5TB HDD (the one where my program files is located) and make it large enough for my Ubuntu installation right?
    don't know how many partitions you have, but yeah you can shrink whichever you want. just remember that there is a limited number of primary partitions that can be on the disk. no worries as linux can install to extended.

also regarding ext4 file system disk size support:
    Large file system
    The ext4 filesystem can support volumes with sizes up to 1 exbibyte (EiB) and files with sizes up to 16 tebibytes (TiB)
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Okay so I was able to get past the installation phase by getting it int GPT format, shrinking the hard drive etc. It still gives me the error on the3TB HD but the 1.5TB one doesn't give me any problems so I installed it to that.

I then used EasyBCD to set up the dual boot menu on startup.

Now, when I choose Ubuntu, it takes me to a command prompt "GRUB>"

Is this where I should specify where my /boot kernel etc is?" It doesn't say what it needs to know so I am just shooting in the wind.

Edit: It looks like this. Note this is a screenshot from what appears to be an older version. I am using 11.10. Should this be happening after a fresh install?

Last edited by Samizdat_Press; January 14th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu uses a bootloader called Grub (GRand Unified Bootloader). Even if Ubuntu is the only Operating System on the machine Grub will still be used but if there was only on OS then the Grub menu would not appear.

It is my guess that the boot loader that you have set up is not booting into Ubuntu but it is booting into Grub and because Grub is not configured to load the Ubuntu boot file then what you are getting is the Grub command line.

I am not expert enough to advise you further.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Is this where I should specify where my /boot kernel etc is?
    Yes. What is shown, when you enter the command:
    Code:
    ls
    ? Details on how to move forward from your position are shown here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    probably best beginning around chapter 8 section 2 "GRUB 2 Troubleshooting Preparation"
    Last edited by spacecheck; January 14th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast