Thread: New to Ubuntu, External HDD help

Beans

New to Ubuntu, External HDD help

I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and I can't use my external hard drive. I've downloaded Wine, so .Exe files shouldn't be an isssue, but every time I try to run the software for the external, it says it encountered an unexpected error and had to close. I'm pretty new to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New to Ubuntu, External HDD help

wine is not build to run .exe files from an external source. If it is just a standalone application, it will run. If it is an installed (to the hdd) program, it will not run with wine. You will have to install it in wine to get it working.

regards

note: Wine Is Not an Emulator.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

It isn't even software that needs to be installed, I just have to be able to run the unlock prompt thing, which I can't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

well i dunno what an unlock prompt is so i cannot help you any further at the moment..
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

What kind of software are you running for the external drive?

Is it not being detected and mounted automatically?

Beans

Okay. I have to click something called Unlock.exe so that it brings up a thing asking for my password. If I can't run Unlock.exe I can't access the data on my external hard drive.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=440

Beans

Could you just plug it in in a windows computer and remove this security feature that asks for your password?