Thread: Wireless Realtek RTL8188CE not working on XS35GT V2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Exclamation [SOLVED] Wireless Realtek RTL8188CE not working on XS35GT V2

Hello,

I am trying to get wireless working on a Shuttle XS35GT V2 with Ubuntu 11.10.

XS35GT had an issue to activate the wireless hardware that was fixed installing a BIOS higher version that 1.08 (so 1.09 or now 1.0B). I have myself such a box working silently (no fan) under Ubuntu 11.10.

X35GT V2 has a different BIOS which came with v.103. This BIOS has a parameter to allow always on wireless - which is my setting.
    There are no other upgrades at Shuttle's download site.

After installing Ubuntu 11.10 I found out that no wireless interface was detected.
    I figured out that the Realtek drivers are not part of the kernel installed (v 3.0.0.14) so I followed another thread (cannot find it anymore but thank you):

1. downloaded last drivers from Realtek (download )
    2. unpacked the tar file
    3. sudo su , make , make install and then reboot, without errors

After rebooting, no change apparently in the system: the device does not appear, I checked it unsuccessfully with "dmesg | net" and "dmesg | rtl".

So I suspect that actually the BIOS is still "hiding" the device from the system, and I posted a question to Shuttle.

=> Does anybody face the same issue or solved it on this hardware?

Regards.
    Last edited by cblanquer; January 15th, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Solved
    Salutacions / Atentamente / Kind Regards / Amicalement / Med vänliga hälsningar / Cumprimentos / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carlos Blanquer-Bogacz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Wireless Realtek RTL8188CE not working on XS35GT V2

Solved today and a bit puzzled.
    I installed "hardinfo 0.5.1" to understand what happens with the Realtek hardware, which actually did not appear in the PCI list!

Suspecting a technical issue from Shuttle, I decided before reporting it to check my older XS35GT (V1) where the Realtek device was present (a different version of the device, as expected).

I then did on the new XS35GT v2 the opposite that was suggested: I went to BIOS at reboot and DISABLED THE ALWAYS ON parameter in BIOS.
    After saving and restarting Ubuntu, the good suprise was that my Realtek PCI device was there, I just plugged off the wired, my WiFi network was discovered and working like a charm for the last 2 hours at least!

So I either misunderstood what other adviced to do on BIOS OR the BIOS is working the opposite at it seems to....
    I would rather think the second is right, as the BIOS per default is supposed not to support ALWAYS ON (disabled) but this is the way I got it working.

Now even connected to my WiFi printer via hplip.
    No matter, the good thing is to know that now this tiny box works from any place at home.
    Last edited by cblanquer; January 15th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Salutacions / Atentamente / Kind Regards / Amicalement / Med vänliga hälsningar / Cumprimentos / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carlos Blanquer-Bogacz