Thread: Programming an algorithm for traffic prediction

Beans

Programming an algorithm for traffic prediction

Hey,

i know this is a bit off-topic and also very complex, but I am currently working on a research project and we are trying to find solutions for future traffic congestion.

I am thinking in terms of information sharing between traffic participants to predict traffic flow (which might include thoughts like robotic cars for urban areas). We are trying to think ahead, let's say 2050, when we are all so interlinked so that real-time sharing of information is easily possible (take it as an assumption).

The major question I am asking myself: is it possible to develop e.g. a semantic system that can analyse all available data (gps positioning etc.) so that it can detect evolving traffic jams and inform all traffic participants who might be affected by that jam? Sounds pretty complex, but if you have any ideas on how this can be processed in an algorithm, just share your thoughts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Programming an algorithm for traffic prediction

There are similar apps out there, so yes, it's possible (eg http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-...s-traffic.html). I've used it while navigating LA, and it works pretty well. It's probably proprietary, but maybe you can find some info on how they did it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Programming an algorithm for traffic prediction

Yeah, that's hardcore. Start by understanding how other applications do it, then make it better. Smartdb (open arch) comes to mind first. Should be easy to find the source.

Linux controls a lot of the traffic lights in my state.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freea...rnumber=390483
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"