Thread: System refuses to boot from disc or USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

System refuses to boot from disc or USB

My Gigabyte GA-EP-UD3P refuses to boot to anything but Windows, even without any hard disk connected.The BIOS says: Boot from CD/DVD... and then it boots to a screen saying the Windows hard disk is missing, which I didn't know was even possible. I was previously using Bitlocker w/ TPM on the drive, so I'm not sure if that's related.

I've reset and cleared the CMOS/BIOS, and tried moving the SATA port around for the DVD drive. The USB stick I have the .iso on also won't boot, but I booted from it and installed a system from it on another system just a few minutes prior.

I'm not really sure how to proceed, is there anything I can do that I haven't done yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help - System refuses to boot from disc or USB

You should read this
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ption-Overview

Note the part about TPM
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro

Re: Help - System refuses to boot from disc or USB

Edit: I disabled the TPM, no change. The only screen the computer will produce is still Windows Boot Manager. Have I destroyed this motherboard? Is there any solution to this? The computer says insert a Windows disc, but when I do, it doesn't do anything but kick me back to the same screen.
    Last edited by shamusl; January 13th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: System refuses to boot from disc or USB

Computer responded to the Windows recovery disc, and the Win7 system runs well. However, the motherboard refuses to boot from anything other than Windows, even if I remove that drive. I wasn't using Bitlocker on the main drive, which is the SDD I'm trying to install Ubuntu on. Wubi works just fine, but I can't install the system in its own partition. Could reinstalling Windows 7 over the other old system help this?