Thread: viewing nikon NEF raw files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question viewing nikon NEF raw files?

just bought a d7000 and tried to view a few NEF files using RAWtherapee but the images look terrible! extremely noisy and unclear.

and its not the photo as its look fine using LR in win7.

is there another NEF viewer? ideally all i want to do is review the raw images on my laptop to decide what to keep or delete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: viewing nikon NEF raw files?

There are several options. You can install and use Darktable Photo Workflow Software as one option. Another option is to install libopenraw1, libopenrawgnome1, gnome-raw-thumbnailer. Those will allow nautilus to see thumbnails of raw images. Shotwell will now display raw images correctly so you can use that as an alternative to Darktable for mass viewing of your raw images. UFRaw is another app that allows you to view raw images and make adjustments but it is not designed to be able to mass view raw images...only one image at a time. Personally, I prefer Darktable or Shotwell for viewing of many images. I usually use Gimp to process my images so you will need UFRaw and gimp-ufraw packages for that scenario.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: viewing nikon NEF raw files?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    is there another NEF viewer? ideally all i want to do is review the raw images on my laptop to decide what to keep or delete.
    Shotwell should be fine for that, though I should point out that Shotwell's RAW developer is not adjustable. You'll probably want to use another program to develop the final images.

Beans

Re: viewing nikon NEF raw files?

+1 for UFRaw.

Ctrl+a and then open all selected images with UFRaw. This will open multiple UFRaw instances / windows commensurate with the number of RAW (NEF) images you've selected to review. Works, certainly, for a quick first pass....