Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery problem with suspend

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

battery problem with suspend

Hi. HP dv7t, U11.10, Gnome 3

I am having a problem with power management on my laptop. When I resume from suspend, regardless of how much power it has left, it always thinks that the battery is about to die, and immediately shuts down or hibernates. It also has a lot of trouble guessing how much time is left otherwise (can be at 99% battery life and say 15 minutes when it will actually live for ~3 hours) but it is particularly bad when I resume from suspend. I literally cannot resume without the computer plugged in or it will shut down. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: battery problem with suspend

mine does something like that but it just pops up a window that says my power is low. not sure how to fix this. i have seen that some people have the same problem, hope people can fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cllewis91592 View Post
    mine does something like that but it just pops up a window that says my power is low. not sure how to fix this. i have seen that some people have the same problem, hope people can fix it.
    Mine does the pupup too, but immediately dies.

Beans

Open "Power Management", switch to the "Battery Power" tab, and change "When battery power is critically low:" to "Suspend."

There doesn't seem to be a way to just turn it off without removing acpi, which will probably screw up the ability to suspend in the first place.

Try uninstalling acpi if you have it, and install apmd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by josephellengar View Post
    Mine does the pupup too, but immediately dies.
    Sounds like a burned out battery that needs to be replaced ... Further research though to see what it actually is ...
    My Big Ol Python.PY

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pr3zident View Post
    Sounds like a burned out battery that needs to be replaced ... Further research though to see what it actually is ...
    It's not. The battery is new and tests at 88% capacity. I got the replacement only a month ago. On Windows it lasts about 3 hours. In Ubuntu it lasts 3 hours too, if I don't suspend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by josephellengar View Post
    It's not. The battery is new and tests at 88% capacity. I got the replacement only a month ago. On Windows it lasts about 3 hours. In Ubuntu it lasts 3 hours too, if I don't suspend.
    Oo I see that's weird then ..
    My Big Ol Python.PY

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    Open "Power Management", switch to the "Battery Power" tab, and change "When battery power is critically low:" to "Suspend."
    I don't have the option to do this. My only options are Hibernate or Shutdown.

There doesn't seem to be a way to just turn it off without removing acpi, which will probably screw up the ability to suspend in the first place.

Try uninstalling acpi if you have it, and install apmd.
    Oddly acpi wasn't installed in the first place. But I just installed apmd. Now what do I do to get it set up or whatever?

Thanks!

Beans

I haven't used apmd for a long time, but you should be able to start it by running the command "apmd".

I checked my computer, and I don't have acpi installed either (note: I'm using 10.10). Odd, considering I need to use the pci=noacpi or acpi=off parameter to boot up.

Try uninstalling acpid. This seems to be the daemon for acpi. Maybe running apmd after removing acpid will set apm as your default power manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I haven't used apmd for a long time, but you should be able to start it by running the command "apmd".

I checked my computer, and I don't have acpi installed either (note: I'm using 10.10). Odd, considering I need to use the pci=noacpi or acpi=off parameter to boot up.

Try uninstalling acpid. This seems to be the daemon for acpi. Maybe running apmd after removing acpid will set apm as your default power manager.
    I got a message: "No APM Support in Kernel"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast